• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kings Norton Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

The new reedbed near Wychall lane is now starting to look like a natural area...when I first saw it it was just a scrape....look forward to seeing it next year where hopefully it will be like the Dragonfly one at Feckenham.

Keith

a few phone pics....

Attachments

• KN 1.jpg
    KN 1.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 168
  • KN 2.jpg
    KN 2.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 175
  • KN 3.jpg
    KN 3.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 151
I used to hide my bins walking through there!!!
Good for snipe and, as you say, wintering teal. Might still be a few water voles around.
We've talked about this before but the fields around Lea End, Hopwood, Alvechurch and Wythall are always worth checking out. Also along the North Worcs Path from the Man in the Moon to the Peacock.
Was a time you'd see breeding yellowhammer and tree sparrow.
Might be worth investing in a mountain bike.............me, that is.

This is a LATE report......

6th August...told ya.

A Common Blue Male in the old Horse Pasture,saw it on 2 consecutive evenings.
Keith

Attachments

• 06082013_16t.jpg low.jpg
    06082013_16t.jpg low.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 183
This is a LATE report......

6th August...told ya.

A Common Blue Male in the old Horse Pasture,saw it on 2 consecutive evenings.
Keith

Good to hear from you Keith, I regularly check out this patch as it's a great area. And of course cus the kingfisher visits. I saw it not long a go nearby on the Rea.

I used to hide my bins walking through there!!!
Good for snipe and, as you say, wintering teal. Might still be a few water voles around.
We've talked about this before but the fields around Lea End, Hopwood, Alvechurch and Wythall are always worth checking out. Also along the North Worcs Path from the Man in the Moon to the Peacock.
Was a time you'd see breeding yellowhammer and tree sparrow.
Might be worth investing in a mountain bike.............me, that is.

He he.....I hired an OLY £5000 lens once and went around there with it :eek!:

Yes there are still Yellowhammers down Lea End lane and over by the farm on Watery Lane.Lots of House Sparrows - will have to look more closely for Tree Sparrows.The fields at the back of the fisheries and at the back of the services are so overgrown now that anything could be hiding there.
Get some Reed Buntings in the hedges around by the Hopwood Island.
Keith :t:

Good to hear from you Keith, I regularly check out this patch as it's a great area. And of course cus the kingfisher visits. I saw it not long a go nearby on the Rea.

I SHOULD visit more often as its only a mile away but can't be everywhere at the same time....I tend to go around Bittell area more.....I go by car and then walk around but have a new car now so Bittell is a bit risky now so K.N. is a better option....a bit classier venue.
The new little pond might get a King later on if there are some fish in it....it's just off the River Rea and in a flight path to the resa.Only yards from Wychall Road.
The little Dragon pond at Feckenham is smaller and the King family use it as one of their many stop by places.It's where I had the 2 Juve ones for 2 hours one day...I was only a few feet away at one time.

I SHOULD visit more often as its only a mile away but can't be everywhere at the same time....I tend to go around Bittell area more.....I go by car and then walk around but have a new car now so Bittell is a bit risky now so K.N. is a better option....a bit classier venue.
The new little pond might get a King later on if there are some fish in it....it's just off the River Rea and in a flight path to the resa.Only yards from Wychall Road.
The little Dragon pond at Feckenham is smaller and the King family use it as one of their many stop by places.It's where I had the 2 Juve ones for 2 hours one day...I was only a few feet away at one time.

Yeah I've seen the new little pond and wondered if a Kf might fancy it. I'm thinking of investing in some fish soon for my pond so might drop some in that new pond.

Yeah I've seen the new little pond and wondered if a Kf might fancy it. I'm thinking of investing in some fish soon for my pond so might drop some in that new pond.

...not a good idea I think.......:eek!:

Someone keeps suggesting I "catch " some fish and keep them in a large clear plastic "bowl" in the stream near Hopwood to keep the Kingfishers interested as they do at the staged photography places....looks like too much work for me.
If I could catch that many fish I would be in the England Angling squad...:-O

Also I have heard that these places buy up all the goldfish from garden centres to keep their profit margins up. Might be a good idea to put some to one side in case the fish "escape" and infect the whole rivers.

That wouldn't be a good idea for a small wildlife pond. Fish would eat much of the other aquatic animals present and discourage amphibians from breeding there. Kingfishers eat more than just fish too.
Matt

That wouldn't be a good idea for a small wildlife pond. Fish would eat much of the other aquatic animals present and discourage amphibians from breeding there. Kingfishers eat more than just fish too.
Matt

Yes I read that the fish will eat the other aquatic animals. I'll leave it - wait to see if the kingfisher takes to the pond. There are plenty of fish in the Rea though.

...not a good idea I think.......:eek!:

Someone keeps suggesting I "catch " some fish and keep them in a large clear plastic "bowl" in the stream near Hopwood to keep the Kingfishers interested as they do at the staged photography places....looks like too much work for me.
If I could catch that many fish I would be in the England Angling squad...:-O

Also I have heard that these places buy up all the goldfish from garden centres to keep their profit margins up. Might be a good idea to put some to one side in case the fish "escape" and infect the whole rivers.

Yeah I've heard that about the fish in the 'bowl'. They had it on Countryfiles - some guy was doing it back in 1968 to get KF shots. My mate keeps suggesting it to me - I'm thinking about it - but you are right - too much hard work.

You are better off heading up Upton Warren (Moors, Concrete Hide). Even if you are not a member of the Worcs Trust, you can buy a day permit for 3 quid.

You are better off heading up Upton Warren (Moors, Concrete Hide). Even if you are not a member of the Worcs Trust, you can buy a day permit for 3 quid.

I like my local Kingfishers - I live near Woodgate Valley and I've had the pleasure of running and cycling round there and seeing the kingfisher, grey wagtail, jay, heron etc - and then someone told me about one on the Bourn so now tracking that one along with the grey wagtail and heron there. Hides are ok but I like to run, walk and cycle and see the nature.

Putting some perches in place is about as far as you should go really...and then only if its O.K. with the wardens.

I think releasing "any" animal into the wild is not a good idea - never mind probably against the law.

A sighting or better still a pic of a local one you have watched is worth 10 of one at a hide and most definitely of one at a staged venue...and does not cost £250 to get it either.
Keith

Quick visit yesterday to see if the Goosanders had dropped in for the winter ...and...they have.
4 on Meercroft.
Just a female teal on Wychall Resa...splashing around in the shallow water.

Attachments

• Meer 1.jpg
    Meer 1.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 78
  • Meer 2.jpg
    Meer 2.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Meer 3.jpg
    Meer 3.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Meer 4.jpg