• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time at South Stack (1 Viewer)

daniel o

I visited RSPB South Stack yesterday (26th May 2014) for my first time. It took roughly 2 hours to get there and on the way I spotted: kestrel, buzzard, mistle thrush, lapwing and a small distant wader on some mud, which looked like either a ringed or a little ringed plover.
By the time I'd arrived it was 11:00am. Straight away I picked up stonechat, meadow pipit, jackdaw and magpie. We then walked up to the visitor centre and sat down for a cup of tea. This is where I spotted chough, wren, linnet, swallow, herring gull, lesser black-backed gull and distant auks. When we finished our tea we walked down to a patch just in front of Ellins Tower. Here I could see guillemot, razorbill, kittiwake, gannet, fulmar, herring gull, lesser black-backed gull, chough, rock pipit and a peregrine on its nest. Also, some shag and cormorant flew past. Feral Pigeon sat on the cliff tops, which I almost misidentified for rock dove! A white wagtail passed through and plenty of swallows and house martins circled overhead. Then I walked along the path and reached the steps for the Lighthouse, but a distinctive call stopped me, wheatear. A pair were sat on the rocks in the heathland and were calling and flitting around. The male caught caterpillars whilst the female collected grass and popped down into a little hole. Little did we know that we'd actually discovered South Stacks very first wheatear nest!

We watched some more puffins from the steps and decided we'd try Holyhead Harbour for black guillemot. This didn't go to plan as we failed to find any but we were treated to brilliant views of a pair of red-breasted merganser.
On the way home we picked up buzzard, grey heron, swift, house sparrow, lapwing, blackbird, starling, mistle thrush and pheasant. All-in-all it was a great day and I can't wait to visit again.:t:

I would also like to thank the very kind wardens who helped me get the most out of the day and my family for taking me!

003edited.jpg Stonechat by the car park

009edited.jpg Distant chough, see if you can spot the very blurry rock pipit

038edited.jpg Female wheatear

048edited.jpg Red-breasted Merganser

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back