• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (30 Viewers)

I don't know if anyone else, like me, has noticed the absence of reports from Karl J recently. I really enjoy hearing about his epic cycling and birding excursions. I notice from another thread that he has been in Addenbrooks hospital for about three weeks so I hope he is well on the road to recovery and look forward to reading more of his reports on here as soon as possible.

See the final post on this thread:
http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=70600&page=2

Ron

Hope you get better soon Karl J :flowers: and make a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Wondered myself where Karl had got too!!

...Been upta mischief on that two wheeler of yours Karl?

Hope you get well soonB :)

Matt

RE the earlier post about the spoonbills at Breydon:
I made the mistake of phoning the birds in as '3 immatures' when i saw them last week only because they had been reported as this on previous days! I realised when the birds flew that 2 did not have the black wing tips but i also did see, when they landed, that the same two had pink bill tips. Does anybody know if this makes them 1st year birds? The third bird was in a more typical juv plumage

Another afternoon at the Ryborough watchpoint.
2 Honey Buzzards (possibly 3... I'll run it past a warden if I can though. I doubted it then and I'm doubting it now!)
5+ Common Buzzards
2 Hobbys
2 Sparrowhawks.

Amazing views of everything today, especially the Hobbies and Common Buzzards. Came in really close.

Good luck for the weekend Kitty. If the weathers good, I think your very likely to see the Honeys, the way they're performing.

Jason

Might try the Honey's on Sunday seeing as they are performing so well and I'm sorta making a half-attempt at a year list.

Curlew Sandpiper rptd at Cley today.

Cheers,

I have just returned to Scotland after four wonderful days of birding in Norfolk.
I enjoyed Flitcham with 5 Little Owls, Kingfisher and 2 Marsh Harriers. I hadn't seen a Ruff this year and had to decide which one of twelve i could say was my first, at Titchwell. I decided on one still in summer plumage.

Before coming down, i followed this thread closely to see what was around and where to go. You all have a wonderful area for watching birds. I WILL be back for more!!:t:

On sunday, its back to watching Ospreys fishing instead.

Another year for the little terns is nearly over at Gt Yarmouth with approx 150
fledged this year not bad as we started on a bad note with a fox nearly halfing the number of nests,but with relays and some birds from winterton the numbers soon recovered. Only 2 kestrel nests nearby this year so helped save quite a few chicks.
lets hope for a bumper year next year like last.

keith

A fleeting 2 hour visit to Strumpshaw Fen provided some fantastic views of Kingfisher this morning, even managed to shoot it through the binocs! also nice to see one on this reserve considering last years flooding of salt water onto the fresh water lagoons which had some effect on the local Kfishers.

Also saw a very nice juve Cuckoo flying from the reeds and spending some time on the dead tree to the right of the Fen hide, no Marsh Harriers were seen though. Last sighting at the hide was a possible Pike!, made a hell of a commotion and sent a few smaller fish out of the water!!

A brief walk along the riverside produced a pair of Yellow Brimstones, quite photogenic too which makes a change!

Matt

Attachments

• sheringham-cley 056 (Custom).jpg
    sheringham-cley 056 (Custom).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 70
  • sheringham-cley 055 (Custom).jpg
    sheringham-cley 055 (Custom).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 85
  • sheringham-cley 039 (Custom).jpg
    sheringham-cley 039 (Custom).jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 109
  • sheringham-cley 033 (Custom).jpg
    sheringham-cley 033 (Custom).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 92
  • sheringham-cley 042 (Custom).jpg
    sheringham-cley 042 (Custom).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Matt, how dare you see a Kingfisher at Strumpshaw today. I've spent hours and hours there this year looking for them without success. I spent all day mending a garden shed and now I hear there was a Kingfisher tap dancing and posing for photos. Aaargh!!!

That feels better. Nice photos, especially for digibinned ones. I assume they were taken from the Fen hide.

I imagine it was very hot there today as Strumpshaw seems to intensify the heat on hot days. I don't think my OH would have appreciated being dragged round there today anyway, so I think I will cash in my DIY Browny points and take her somewhere nearer the coast tomorrow.

Ron

Matt, how dare you see a Kingfisher at Strumpshaw today. I've spent hours and hours there this year looking for them without success. I spent all day mending a garden shed and now I hear there was a Kingfisher tap dancing and posing for photos. Aaargh!!!

That feels better. Nice photos, especially for digibinned ones. I assume they were taken from the Fen hide.

Ron

Thanks Ron, yes they were taken from the Fen hide. And as if to rub salt!! the bird gave a solid 4/half minutes of diving/bashing/eating fish and generaly
looking gorgeous in the sun.

Managed to get about 13 shots, they didn't all come out that great;)

Matt

Attachments

• sheringham-cley 035 (Custom).jpg
    sheringham-cley 035 (Custom).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 102
Lesser Emperor

Here's a record shot of the Lesser Emperor's at Felbrigg this afternoon, was wondering if this is a first for East Anglia? (the egg laying)

Attachments

• Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 113
Bit of a donder round Cley & Salthouse today. Good numbers of spotshanks (9 in total). Also 2 green sands, 3 curlew sands, 2 greenshanks and a whinchat.

Nice photo if a lesser emperor - don't know enough about dragonflies to answer your question, but would love to know the answer myself.

Last edited:
Bad weekend - dropped bins at Holme on Firs Road, totally a write-off:-C :C on Saturday.

Saturday night was good though, excellent barbecue at BF member's house with lots of B :) and excellent food and moth catching etc.

Only birding I did was sitting on the shingle at Salthouse watching terns go by in between all the sunbathers, swimmers etc! Feel like I have travelled round most of Norfolk today, just to get home because of accidents and sheer volume of traffic. I did 68 miles instead of 32 to get home from Salthouse to King's Lynn. Got 19 miles up the road along A148, big accident and diversions, turned round, went through Creake, to coast and back along A149 to parents, cup of tea etc, then left 7.15pm and went through Ringstead, (to avoid Hunstanton queues), traffic stationary at Heacham lavender, so turned left through Sedgeford, Docking, Flitcham, and then queued from Hillington to Knights hill roundabout!!!!! Getting home at 8.50 - on the red, just made it to petrol station.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back