• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steve's watercolour challenge (1 Viewer)

ste

Hi All,
I think the high quality of the art work on this forum may be about to dip a little. I have recently posted a couple of pics in the gallery and after nicks generous invitation to post a thread on here it was just the little push I needed to have a go. I am an active birdwatcher and just like painting the birds I see. I have only recently picked up my paint brushes after a while and thought that watercolour would be a nice challenge. How right I was. Its sooooo difficult but I hope to improve as I go along.
My 2 most recent pics are below.
Steve

Attachments

• cattle-egret.jpg
    cattle-egret.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 194
  • great-white-egret.jpg
    great-white-egret.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 185
Hi Steve and welcome. Watercolour is certainly a challenge. Good start with the paintings, looking forward to seeing more:t:

great to have you on board! Have already commented on the gw egret, the cattle is a lovely composition. Looking forward to seeing more.

great to have you on board! Have already commented on the gw egret, the cattle is a lovely composition. Looking forward to seeing more.

Yes I agree that composition is really unusual and works a treat. What are we looking for here - a little more shading to give some form to the bird?

Hi Dryslwyn,
The original does have a lot more shading but the scan seems to have lost it but comment taken onboard
Thanks Steve

Good stuff Steve. The cow/egret design is superb, almost batik-like in execution. I like it as it is, reminiscent of the poster designs of the 30s (when I was but a lad).
The great Eg I saw in the gallery and adored it there. Just as adorable here.

Welcome aboard the (now unstoppable) BF art subforum!

Nice start, it's just about all been said really, you have a very delicate touch which works well for watercolour and a good compositional sense.

Woody

Thanks very much for the warm welcome.
There has been several spotted flycatcher passing through my local patch recently as they do each year at this time. They are usually very showy and this individual preferred the electric fence as hunting perch.

Attachments

• spot-flyc.jpg
    spot-flyc.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 197
Steve well done with the spotted fly. sorry only just got round to viewing it.
This Forum is getting harder to keep up with by the minuet.

Hi ,
Thanks again for the encouragement.
I finished this painting today. It is taken from a photo I took in Liverpool on a cold, sunny January morning. There were not many berries on the trees and the waxwings seemed to be franticly trying to get the last of them. Just beautiful birds and the winter of 03/04 was a good year for them with plenty of opportunities to see them. A waxwing winter.
Steve

Attachments

• Waxwings.jpg
    Waxwings.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 196
This is another good one Steve. I love the composition and its a dynamic piece.
Waxwings are such a cool bird though arn't they:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back