• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (1 Viewer)

nice sketches Ads, however as a human being I detest you for seeing these when they have evaded me so far, when I live six miles away!;) However, the riciculous NE wind that froze me to the very core at Arlington yesterday means these sketches are far, far better thany any views I could possibly have got! Can I tick them on my life list now I wonder?;) The Horizontal bird sitting on the wire is the pick of the bunch for me, an absolute delight even without colour, the feather detail you've put in is fantastic, and you've even managed to make a convincing barbed wire!!

Last edited:
a lot more beautiful on paper than the crap views I had of one 12 years back - I think Liam should be able to tick the species on such fine artwork!

Great sketches Ads...[as always]...!

...here's a pic of an individual RRSwallow me and me mate were watching several days ago near Peterboro.

Have seen quite a few of these beauties in recent years...[in Leicestershire believe it or not]...!

Attachments

• Red-rumped-Swallow1.jpg
    Red-rumped-Swallow1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 87
Been a long time it seems.....been busy, honest....;) !!
Here's a stunning bird that meant to see it I had to cross the border into the east (yuk!), but he was well worth it - approachable down to about 10m at times!

Red-footed Falcon (Large).jpgRed-footed Falcon (1) (Large).jpgRed-footed Falcon (2) (Large).jpg

Beautiful, strong sketches.

I'm happy to see the one crossed out sketch. It's always interesting to see how different people deal with a sketch that they're not happy with. Sometimes I'm reluctant to show a page with one bad sketch on it, but other times just think the good parts outweigh the bad. I don't think I've ever actually crossed one out but in the back of my mind I wanted to.

You know how it is Ken sometimes it starts ok then just goes to crap and you've had enough!!
Cheers Ed - good to be back!

Phenominal work Ads - a true sense of structure to the drawings, almost so that turning the page would reveal the obverse side. There's such a range of greys in the colourwork; subtle shifts from warm siennas to cool slates -zinging with life.

Phenominal work Ads - a true sense of structure to the drawings, almost so that turning the page would reveal the obverse side. There's such a range of greys in the colourwork; subtle shifts from warm siennas to cool slates -zinging with life.

Very eloquently put Mr. Wootton! And every word true.

MIke

You know how it is Ken sometimes it starts ok then just goes to crap and you've had enough!!

I'm well familiar with that scenario Ads! Heading out soon for a little sketching and hope I don't relive that scenario too many times.;);) Your work and that of others here always reminds me of just how good field sketches can be. Something to strive for.

Some from the hols - the Picos is a stunningly beautiful place with great birds and amazing visuals and is just so easy to get to for a long weekend away, only a 2.5hr from Bilbao! Well, not so easy for Tim, mind....;)

Alpine Accentor (Large).jpgAlpine Accentor (1) (Large).jpg

Low cloud makes for some interesting changes in view - and temperature - and they can sneak up on you if you're too busy looking for Wallies (pic 3) !!

Picos above Fuente De.jpgPicos above Fuente De (1).jpgThe clouds are coming!!.jpg

Some from the hols - the Picos is a stunningly beautiful place with great birds and amazing visuals and is just so easy to get to for a long weekend away, only a 2.5hr from Bilbao! Well, not so easy for Tim, mind....;)
Hmmm - Two and a half hours from my door gets me about 30 miles south of John O'Groats . . . . so I'll just have to enjoy the scenery through this wonderful medium. Accentors are wonderful birds, wonderfully depicted here. Sublime fieldwork.

Field work that takes me right to the bird and place....such sensitive descriptive lines and beautiful changes in tones and values that make every one full of life and movement, such a treat to see your work.

Your dunnocks are covered in blood - and that blackbird that looks like a falcon is bleeding too. (Guess two species that I've not seen!)

Superb work - so much observed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back