• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED82 (1 Viewer)

Bluetail

Senior Moment
I'm in the market for a new scope. Originally I was going to get a Leica APO77 (which I prefer to the Swarovski, having compared them side by side), but, based on comments here, I'm now very much interested in the Nikon ED82 with the 25-75 zoom lens. However, I've not managed to field test one yet. I've two main questions:

1. How does the resolution of the Nikon compare with the Leica + zoom?
2. I'm aware that scampo has had to send his Nikon off for repair after knocking it over. That sounds like bad news. So how robust is it? (My trusty old Bushnell Spacemaster has got knocked over several times, but the optics are still perfect, even though the casing got chipped)

Jason

1. Sharper and brighter but less wide.

2. Very robust - all the fall did was dent the edge of the lens hood slightly (and sadly, as with all scopes I suppose - you can't remove this and replace it easily). I've had it fixed because even a small dent would knock its value down completely and you never know what the future holds!

3. Have you thought about trying the Zeiss 85T* with 20-60x zoom? I'm using one while the Nikon's in for repair. It's ultra-wide fov does what no other zoom does and does it brilliantly. When I get the Nikon back, my son's going to have it and I'll be keeping the Zeiss.

If you go for Leica, Nikon or Swaro, I feel sure you'll soon be in the market for a 30xW to complement the zoom as they all seem genuinely quite "tube like" once you have been spoiled by the Zeiss zoom. Try them side-by-side and you'll be genuinely amazed at the difference, I'm sure. I do wonder why Zeiss haven't made more of this unique feature which is so useful for birding.

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve. I did wonder about the Zeiss, but from what I've read the Nikon has the better resolution (even if only marginally) and that tips it for me. It's more of a priority than FOV (since I've been living with a Spacemaster + zoom for 20 years and have got used to its narrow FOV). Yes I do plan to get a 30xW as well, eventually, but that will have to wait until my finances have recovered.

Unfortunately optics field days down in this part of the world are few and far between. I don't suppose anyone knows of any coming up soon?

Jason

Bluetail said:
I'm in the market for a new scope. Originally I was going to get a Leica APO77 (which I prefer to the Swarovski, having compared them side by side), but, based on comments here, I'm now very much interested in the Nikon ED82 with the 25-75 zoom lens. However, I've not managed to field test one yet.
Jason

I can't comment on the comparison but i was looking less than a month ago, I eventually bought a Nikon ED 78 from warehouse express. But should you decide on the ED 82 In focus at Denby Dale did have an 3 month old ED 82 body with a stay on case that they were selling on a customers behalf for £750, which is a sizable reduction on the fulll price even at warehouse express.
The Zeiss 85 is mentioned further down the thread and unless it has been sold there was one of these on the birdforum for sale forum for £750 including zoom lens and stay on case, now this is a big reduction.

Bluetail said:
Thanks, Steve. I did wonder about the Zeiss, but from what I've read the Nikon has the better resolution (even if only marginally) and that tips it for me. It's more of a priority than FOV (since I've been living with a Spacemaster + zoom for 20 years and have got used to its narrow FOV). Yes I do plan to get a 30xW as well, eventually, but that will have to wait until my finances have recovered.

Unfortunately optics field days down in this part of the world are few and far between. I don't suppose anyone knows of any coming up soon?

Jason
I think most reviews have put the Zeiss as class leading at 40x and above (see Andy's review on BF and http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm , for example). What has confused some reviewers in my opinion is that the extreme periphery of the Zeiss fov is not especially sharp - but the view is so much wider than any competing eyepiece that I really can't see this is an issue of any consequence whatever. I say again - if you look through a Swaro + zoom and a Zeiss + zoom, you would wonder why Swaro is so popular. I also believe that a look through a Nikon zoom shows you just how clear and natural an image can be. For birding though, a wide fov is surely very useful indeed in helping to locate a bird and see what else is "going on".

Why not try a 30x eyepiece instead of the zoom much better light gathering, fov and depth of field, and most are sharper than a zoom, and 30x is more than powerfull enough for most situations.Untill you've tried a 30x you would not believe how good they are.

I am about to invest in a 82mm Nikon scope. My main question is how it would effect me using spectacles with its rather narrow eye piece. I am planning to get a zoom lens for starters but wonder how strong vignetting for digiscopeing purposes is with the zoom?
I am having a real fantastic offer for this scope and am really only considering the Leica as another option at this time.

Peter

I've used the Nikon 20x60 zoom on a Fieldscope III ED for close to two years. It is an excellent eyepiece.

However, its' eye relief causes a problem when wearing glasses. I even purchased a pair of very small lensed glasses to use when birding. However, at powers above around 40X I still need to remove them.

Bob

I think it must depend how deeply set are your eyes. For me, I find I can use the Nikon only at low magnification with specs - but it's exactly the same with Kowa, Zeiss and Swaro. These latter three on paper should be better for me but they are not. On balance, Peter, I don't think you'll find the Nikon any worse than other scopes.

Scampo makes a relevant point regarding how deeply set your eyes are (or other facial characteristics) will effect the field of view seen thru an eyepiece.

I've owned Leica's zoom (used on an astro scope) and currently own a Swarovski ATS HD with the 20x60 zoom. Both the Leica and the Swarovski were more eyeglass friendly for me. I can use the Swarovski at all powers with my small eyeglasses. However, to obtain the sharpest view at 50-60X in a difficult shorebird I.D. I usually do not look thru my eyeglasses. So, perhaps that should be considered when concerned about short eye relief at higher powers.

By the way, I've kept my Nikon Fieldscope IIIED with its 20x60 zoom. It is an excellent small scope. Even though I have Nikon's older wide angle (not fully multicoated eyepieces) in 24X and 40X and 60X wide (on Nikons 60 mm scope) they are sprimarily used for hawk watching and astro purposes.

These eyepieces also fit my Swarovski scope with an adapter.

Bob

The ED82 is as robust as any of the other top scopes...optically the Nikon ED82 is an exellent scope, good value for money, (25-30% cheaper than the Swarovski ATS80 here in Sweden), however the zoom eyepiece is not optimal with glasses, the field of view is also a bit narrow. The 38xW eye piece is very good with 17,8 mm eye relief but the magnification is a bit too much for digiscoping. I use it with my 60mm for digiscoping and then get 30X but its still a bit too much. The 24/30x (ED82) eye piece would be better suited for digiscoping with the ED82 but the eye relief is smaller (15mm) though I havent tried it. I think all the top scopes lack some feature that some of the others have..so it isnt easy to find the perfect scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back