• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikkor AF-S 300mm F/4 (1 Viewer)

double00

Hello - I am considering purchasing the above lens. I have read on the forum many of you prefer this lens.

I have also read this lens does not have a rear element and because of this, dust/particles can easily enter the lens.

How much of a problem is this? Should the lack of a rear element be a major concern?

I don't want to leave a TC on the lens 24/7.

I used the search engine and found the same question and the positives responses. Apparently this lack of a rear element is not a problem.

On reading various reviews on this lens, one reviewer even recommended leaving the TC on at all times to prevent dust getting into the lens. That was the main reason I asked the question.

You need to be aware of the vulnerability to dust ingress but it's not really a problem provided you're careful. It's an excellent lens that can be had for very good secondhand prices now that its been replaced by the lighter and smaller 300 PF.

Alan

Agree, a first-class lens, sharp as a tack even wide-open. I've had mine for going on 12 years now and have never had a dust problem, with or without a TC.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back