• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring Necked Parakeet (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Hare

Just been reading Saturday 10th February edition of the Hartlepool Mail and on page 5 was a story of Ring Necked Parakeets being sighted in Hartlepool.

The main article says that they have been a sighting of a family of about
8 parakeets in the Ward Jackson Park area in Hartlepool.

Here is a link to the story: http://www.hartlepooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2040996&SectionID=1109

I will have a look later in the week when I get some time off work.

Also of note in the story in the paper is that they partial to wild bird seed.

So I might just have to fall out of bed to see one in my garden.

Trust a newspaper to exaggerate a story ;)

There are certainly three there usually found by the gate by the clock tower on Park Avenue. You can't miss the racket if they're around. They seem to be roosting in a snapped off tree in the wood opposite and left of the gates. I've seen a female and two males there.

Attachments

• TBC RN Para Ward jackson Pk 280107 IMG_3047ao.JPG
    TBC RN Para Ward jackson Pk 280107 IMG_3047ao.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 195
  • TBC RN Para Ward jackson Pk 280107 IMG_3019ao.JPG
    TBC RN Para Ward jackson Pk 280107 IMG_3019ao.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 149
  • TBC RN Para Ward Jackson Pk 280107 IMG_2971ao.JPG
    TBC RN Para Ward Jackson Pk 280107 IMG_2971ao.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2987co.JPG
    IMG_2987co.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3059ao.JPG
    IMG_3059ao.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 178
Jonathan Hare said:
Just been reading Saturday 10th February edition of the Hartlepool Mail and on page 5 was a story of Ring Necked Parakeets being sighted in Hartlepool.

The main article says that they have been a sighting of a family of about
8 parakeets in the Ward Jackson Park area in Hartlepool.

Here is a link to the story: http://www.hartlepooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2040996&SectionID=1109

I will have a look later in the week when I get some time off work.

Also of note in the story in the paper is that they partial to wild bird seed.

So I might just have to fall out of bed to see one in my garden.

Jonathan, I have seen them a few times, but I have only seen 3 at any one time (1m,2f). They are easy to see, they are in the trees diagonally opposite the clock tower gate at Ward Jackson Park. If you go there, you will more than likely hear them first. They usually fly around these trees, and venture over 'The Parade', into a conifer there, and appear slightly further along Park Avenue, in trees there. Good luck with them, just remember to keep your ears open!!
George.

what has probably happened is that they have been reported by more than one person therefore the papers,not knowing too much about birds have just tallied up the amount of birds seen on 3 or 4 occassions and thought that was the number,either that or they are blatently exagerating,i know which one i believe!!

Give it time and it will be hundreds if not thousands of them like it is round here, lucky for me because I like them, in fact I am indebted to them, they got me into birding in the first place.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
Give it time and it will be hundreds if not thousands of them like it is round here, lucky for me because I like them, in fact I am indebted to them, they got me into birding in the first place.

Mick
Lol! Beautiful birds to see - but what a racket they make - even just the three of them :eek!:

I'm very happy to have them around in my area, but even happier they're in Hartlepool rather than Billingham 8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back