• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

Just had an entertaining hour or so trying to video the Great Northern Diver at Carsington! Feeding very, very actively so a real pain to get on to with the scope and camera.

Also the Oystercatchers, Redshanks and Lapwings were very active as where a pair of LRP's.

There was also a Dunlin but I failed to catch up with that!

I must say I really recommend the summer plumaged GND really smart

Couple of distant video grabs attached.... Glyn has some excellent shots on Surfbirds.....

ATB

Steph'

Attachments

• GND3.jpg
    GND3.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 81
  • GND4.jpg
    GND4.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Great Northern Diver May 16th 2.jpg
    Great Northern Diver May 16th 2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Sacred Ibis at Ogston apparently - to the left of the members hide, reported at about 6.30.

Did the origin of Carsi bird ever get established, is this the same bird I wonder?

As Steph has already shown, the GN Diver is still present at Carsington. Also seen today was a pair of Red Crested Pochards, 3+ Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, 4 LRP's, Dunlin, Whimbrel, 2 Lapwing chicks, several Oycs and Redshank.
50+ BH Gulls, 10 LBB Gull, 4 Arctic Terns, 2 Common Terns, 200+ Swallows, 100+ Housemartins, 100+ Swift and 6 Sandmartins.

The Sacred Ibis indeed does appear to be the Carsi bird...having a metal ring on the lower leg.... sadly looks more likely to be of captive origin than french cat C vagrant. It was present on the pool to the left of the members hide till 8.30pm at least. But was not visible from the hide frustratingly, you had to view from the car park or public hide. Light was pretty grim so not many shots came out.

Whilst at Oggi though 6 Arctic Terns paid a brief visit.....

See I missed a load of stuff in my brief visit today at Carsi LOL!

ATB

Steph'

Attachments

• Sacred Ibis 1.jpg
    Sacred Ibis 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 73
Couple of video grabs showing metal ring on the Ibis's right leg. I presume this looks the same as the Carsi bird??

Edit.... Dan in your post on this you say the bird had ring on left leg at Carsi? Mass breakout??

ATB

Steph'

Attachments

• Ibis ring.jpg
    Ibis ring.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Ibis ring 2.jpg
    Ibis ring 2.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Most likely this bird Steph?

http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pictures.asp?v=1&off=302984&r=1&st=0&q=0

What makes it more likely to be an escapee?

Thanks Sam (met you at Spurn after the Sharp-Tailed Sand, we seawatched with you for a bit)

Aha I remember you! Shearwaters and Skuas I think?

On balance always likely to be escape anyway, I had not seen that ring photo before, probably same bird as you say. From what I remember of debates before, and an article on the French birds I think if they were trapped as part of a study then they would show combination of colour rings and metal? This article goes a way to explaining the problems with this species in NW Europe www.birdingworld.co.uk/images/SacredIbises.pdf

However there is nothing to prevent one being ringed elsewhere so the jury is still out. That ring looks a tad jumbled and narrow perhaps.....

Had a look earlier to see if it was still there to attempt to read the ring but no sign today.

ATB

Steph'

Couple of video grabs showing metal ring on the Ibis's right leg. I presume this looks the same as the Carsi bird??

Edit.... Dan in your post on this you say the bird had ring on left leg at Carsi? Mass breakout??

ATB

Steph'

Yes, deffo left leg.....although I doubt my sh*t picture will show that!

There were two together briefly they day after on west coast, so wonder if we have now had both in the county?

I did get news that its nothing to do with Blackbrook Zoo (unlike the Storks??!!) and that metal rings like this have been used on continental birds.

Dave has found a Black throated Diver at Carsington, still present as I type, at Sheepwash.

Humm was suspicious this am when I got a pager message saying adult and imm GNDiver as the imms are long gone...... well done Dave!!!

Might pop up in a few mins:eek!:

ATB

Steph'

Yes, deffo left leg.....although I doubt my sh*t picture will show that!

There were two together briefly they day after on west coast, so wonder if we have now had both in the county?

I did get news that its nothing to do with Blackbrook Zoo (unlike the Storks??!!) and that metal rings like this have been used on continental birds.

Is the stork rumour real? I haven't heard the definitive answer yet;)

Interesting as Roger C and I both felt the bird must be the same individual as at Carsi! Shows how wrong we were:-O

ATB

Steph'

Humm was suspicious this am when I got a pager message saying adult and imm GNDiver as the imms are long gone...... well done Dave!!!

Might pop up in a few mins:eek!:

ATB

Steph'

Surely the pager message said imm Black-throated Diver at Sheepwash, also the adult Great Northern Diver still present. Well that's what it should have said anyway.

Not a bad day at Carsington today with the bird of the day being the immature Black-throated Diver. No doubt the bird that had been at Shustoke Reservoir that flew off this morning. Before the BT Diver I'd had the adult Great Northern Diver, 2 Red Crested Pochards, Ringed Plover, c4 Little Ringed Plover, 2 Curlew and 6 Dunlin.

I walked into Sheepwash and started scanning the open water and again picked up the ad GND. Further scanning produced a 2nd distant Diver which I was 95% sure of it being a BTD. Before committing myself and putting the news out I wanted to make sure It was definitely a BTD. Eventually I was happy so put the news out and made several calls/texts to let everyone know. Somehow the bird must have gone right past me and round to P Stanley hide where it spent several hours before swimming past Sheepwash again and was still present from Stones Island gone 19.00hrs.

2 Sanderlings also flew past Sheepwash earlier in the day and then at least 9 Dunlin were around Stones/Wildlife Centre late on.

A couple of crap shots of the BTD.

Attachments

• SNV35860.jpg
    SNV35860.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 84
  • SNV35888.jpg
    SNV35888.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Hi Dave

Possibly the BTD from Shustoke as it was seen to fly North. Some thoughts of this being the Pelsall/Willington bird? Certainly likes keeping to the edges! Some images of the Shustoke Diver on my Blog & website.

Last edited:
Oggies good run keeps going with yesterdays Spoonbill.

Called in wednesday evening on the way home to find a wader fest! a stunning flock of 8 Sanderling (the most I have seen in the County in one flock) with some showing good colour, 8 Dunlin, 21 Ringed Plover, 6 LRP, 3 Turnstone all in the small bay South End (so easy viewing).
Hobby zapping about too. The low water levels could really pull in some more good waders yet. Loads of warblers (inc Reed, Sedge, L Throat) and hirundines.

Beeley Triangle had Peregrine, Hobby and Merlin last night within half an hour of each other.

Is the stork rumour real? I haven't heard the definitive answer yet;)

Interesting as Roger C and I both felt the bird must be the same individual as at Carsi! Shows how wrong we were:-O

ATB

Steph'

It really is worth half a day at Blackbrook Stef - you will be amazed at what they have (Secretary Bird, Sun Bittern, Gypo Plover and GG Owl being personal faves!).
There are lakes with allsorts of wildfowl on them (smaller version of Pensthorpe) and as you approach you will see the White Storks - they are in a large open field with nests on mounds etc. Nothing to keep them in.
I dont specifically recall Black Stork there but have been told they have them, and thinking on they may have been in with the Vultures...
Unfortunately the fact that it is so open means it will cast doubt on any birds seen in the locale that they hold (def no Purple Heron or Spoonbills tho!)

Sacred Ibis - I have tried that crap photo of mine of the Ibis again to see if I can show the ring, but its not clear. My notes specifically say left leg and it was feeding right in front of us in the open so no reason to think I would have got the wrong leg. I scoped the ring to see if I could make it out but couldnt.

Hi Dave

Possibly the BTD from Shustoke as it was seen to fly North. Some thoughts of this being the Pelsall/Willington bird? Certainly likes keeping to the edges! Some images of the Shustoke Diver on my Blog & website.

Hi Kevin

I'm sure the one at Carsington will be the Shustoke bird. I doubt very much that it's the Pelsall/Willington one from February unless it's been hiding well for the past 3 months.

Started the day down Wyver Lane yesterday and the only thing of note was 2 pairs of Shoveler. We then nipped up to Ogston for an hour and although we missed the Spoonbill and Kittiwake we did get 22 Ringed Plover, 4 Dunlin, 4 LRP and a Sanderling. A crow took one of the Lapwing chicks.
We then went to Carsington and couldn't have timed it any better as we walked into Sheepwash Hide to find the Black-throated Diver right in front of the hide. Got some half decent shots too. Also had the pair of Red-crested Pochards, 4 Dunlin and several LRP's. There was no sign of the ad Great Northern.

Attachments

• SNV35909.jpg
    SNV35909.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 59
  • SNV35927.jpg
    SNV35927.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 55
  • SNV35940.jpg
    SNV35940.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 51
  • SNV35943.jpg
    SNV35943.jpg