• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Stonechat status (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

While I was coming back across the Sinai desert from St Catherine's monastery in March this bundle of colour erupted from the road-side barrier on a curve.

My first impression was anything but "stonechat", in fact at first I didn't know what to make of it. White, bright red and black burst upwards and I was lucky enough to get the taxi to stop while I grabbed a couple of shots after it settled.

Collins has it as race variegatus under the subspecies of Eastern Stonechat.

My question is, has the eastern stonechat been split from common stonechat yet, and is it likely to be?

Attachments

• E Stonechat (4) small copy.jpg
    E Stonechat (4) small copy.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 234
Collins has it as race variegatus under the subspecies of Eastern Stonechat.

My question is, has the eastern stonechat been split from common stonechat yet, and is it likely to be?
Svensson et al 2009 (Collins Bird Guide) refers to the maurus subspecies group as 'Eastern Stonechat'.

Saxicola maurus (incl ssp variegatus) is split from S torquatus (as Siberian Stonechat) by Urquhart & [birdboy]Bowley 2002 (Stonechats), IOC, CSNA/Dutch Birding, OSME and China Bird Report;
but not by BOURC, AERC, OBC, AOU, BLI (under review), Cornell/Clements or HBW.

Richard

Last edited:
The latest IOC list also splits the eastern form stejnegeri as a full species, Stejneger's Stonechat. Not sure if that's monotypic or not.

But variegatus (and armenicus) will probably end up being known as 'Caspian Stonechat'. Cracking bird indeed!!

"Wow" isn't a word that's usually part of my vocabulary, but when that particular bird flew up from the roadside just in front of the car, I couldn't help myself.

I actually did say "Wow". (Then thought to myself, "Did I really just say, 'wow'?"). :-O

It's a little stunner alright.

On a related note, what are the field marks for Stejneger versus Siberian?

I saw tons of Stejneger's in Japan, but have no clue at what features really distinguish them from Siberian, as Mark Brazil doesn't illustrate the latter form.

Stejneger's Stonechat

On a related note, what are the field marks for Stejneger versus Siberian?
Urquhart & Bowley 2002:

• Very similar in plumage detail and size to maurus, often impossible to separate in the field. c15% wider base to bill.
  • Adult male breeding: virtually identical to maurus but variably shows less white on rump/uppertail-coverts; rufous on breast slightly more extensive.
  • Adult male non-breeding: fringes to upperpart & underpart feathers darker rufous than maurus (more apparent in E of range).
  • Female: virtually identical to maurus.
Richard

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like a fun id away if you have a vagrant.

Wonder if the documentation of vagrants to Alaska is good enough to sort those two species. Certainly Stejneger's is most likely, but Siberian can't be impossible as a vagrant

Eastern Stonechats

probably ditto for the UK
Indeed. This from BBRC, 2006 (Racial identification and assessment in Britain):

"Several authors have questioned the validity of the east Asian stejnegeri, and it is unclear whether it can be diagnosed with confidence (it differs only subtly from maurus, being on average a little darker and with the colours more saturated, rather as hibernans is to rubicola in the west), and the possibility of a stejnegeri x maurus intergrade could never be fully excluded. The one accepted British record should be reviewed, and we do not seek further claims of this taxon."​

But with Zink et al 2009 showing that maurus and stejnegeri are not even closest relatives, stejnegeri clearly merits recognition as a valid taxon, even if diagnosis is problematic.

The one accepted British record of stejnegeri (ad male, Cley, Norfolk, May 1972) was subsequently revised to 'maurus or stejnegeri' in the BOURC 37th Report (Oct 2008).

Other British records have presumably been attributed to maurus largely on the basis of probablility rather than reliable subspecific identification. Perhaps most/all should more correctly be recorded as maurus/stejnegeri...

Richard

Caspian Stonechat

There is one British record of varigatus, sometime in the mid 80's and in the South West I think.
Yes, first accepted record of variegatus was at Porthgwarra, Oct 1985, with at least two subsequent records (Landguard, Sep 1993 and Virkie, Shetland, May 2006).

Richard

Last edited:
Wasn't a variegatus claimed on Portland in the last couple of years? All I know is that maurus and stejnegeri are hard enough to tell apart when holding skins side by side!! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back