• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery birds (1 Viewer)

Here's an easier quiz than Harry's mental ;) one:

I'm thinking of a bird, what is it?

Only Kidding H, I can't see the bird next to the placcy bag, no matter what I try in photoshop to enhance it. You sure there's one there?

Hi Chris,
Yes,there's a bird there!Clearly visible in the original pic,but scanning hasn't helped matters.Think:given the darkness of the background,then why can't you see it...?
Harry H

Hi all,
Surprised that nobody has guessed correctly for No.4,btw:the photo has come out quite well!
Harry H

1. *waves white flag
2.I'm going to stick with Great Shearwater... the only other thing I could imagine that being it Long-tailed Skua

3 I'm going to clutch at straws and guess that Joern got the Blackbird, which I still am to see right!

4. Stumped.... if its not Herring x Glauc, or Iceland/Kumleins, perhaps its Iceland x Herring. It doesn't look too big, its pale mantles and it has a lot of dusskiness, apparently onlty in the undersaide of the wing

Hi Jane,
No.1 is an immature "large" gull(though not as large as some)....
No.2 is a Great Shearwater photographed on a pelagic off of Cobh 3 years ago.
No.3 is a Blackbird.
No.4 doesn't look too big because it wasn't!It's also a full biological species of long standing,no need to invoke hybrids....
Harry H

Right, I will try a mix of posts to try and fudge the correct answer. :)

1. iceland gull
2. great shearwater
3. blackbird
4. ring billed gull.

So I am Guessing that the either the apparent pure white primaries on the left wing (upper surface) or the apparent black on the mid sections of the right wing is an artefact.

If its the left wing... then It could be a Common Gull, but I'd worry about the mantle colour..... It looks to have too much white in the primaries on the left wing for a ring-billed..
OK Common Gull.

And Iceland Gull for 1

Hi Jane,
4 out of 4!Thought that the amount of white on the tip of P10 of the Common Gull combined with the impression of being a smaller gull would have made it the easiest of the four!
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back