• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Bird warmup (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
These poor digipics are rather better quality than the video grabs to come and shouldn't prove too problematic. The quality will decline I promise ;). All will be Western Palearctic birds.

Attachments

• mystery1.jpg
    mystery1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 177
  • mystery2.jpg
    mystery2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 181
  • mystery3.jpg
    mystery3.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 194
  • mystery4.jpg
    mystery4.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 169
  • mystery5.jpg
    mystery5.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 183
Hmm 'nice' pics Brian. I'm tempted to let Jane have first crack but mine will be mostly wrong anyway:

1) Least Sandpiper
2) Long-billed Dowitcher
3) Garganey
4) Black-necked Grebe
5) Err well there's 4 Canada Geese and a Tufted Duck. Oh you want the one circled? Well maybe a rather lost Little Auk.

# 3 is a wildfowler's plastic decoy. The ring on the back for lifting it out of the water shows all too clearly :-O
Probably modelled on Garganey though.

#1 I'd go for Ruff
#2 don't know.
#4 B-n Grebe a.k.a. Eared Grebe
#5 storn-driven Manx Shearwater?

Michael

Fear what's to come if this is the warmup!!
1. Curlew Sandpiper
2. White-rumped Sandpiper?
3. Garganey
4. juv Little Grebe
5. ??

3 named correctly so far. Best is 2 right. Clearly harder than I thought it would be and the duck is a real one. It got off the water all by itself. The loop is an odd bit of weed I think. Keep going.

Wow! Didn't even break into a sweat eh Jane? All these were photographed recently around Peterborough and the Manx appeared on a gravel pit in calm, sunny weather. There were a couple of others inland on the same day (17 Sept).

The video grabs start later today.

The mantle fringes and bill length gave the CS up. My first guess for bird one was Long-toed Stint....! Then I realised it was too big... was the Pec and adult?

Jane Turner said:
Is that a skit a my advancing years?

I am sure it was more a reference to us being being in a kindergarten compared to your university of ID skills. o:)

There will be a short delay getting more ID pics sorted out as my lunchtime was taken up with this little beauty. Very late for 'round here and extremely confiding.
:t:

Attachments

• lesser_white_nov_03b.jpg
    lesser_white_nov_03b.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I'd say so.. Racial ID might be interesting though.... I'm supposed to be working...but might be attempting a wingformula instead!

Jane Turner said:
I'd say so.. Racial ID might be interesting though.... I'm supposed to be working...but might be attempting a wingformula instead!

Yes, we immediately started fretting about race. Ought to start a new thread for this really. Don't know if another pic might help. (Also working hard! :gn: )

Attachments

• lesser_white_nov_03a.jpg
    lesser_white_nov_03a.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 134
Not checked the wing formula, but this bird certainly looks rather brownish without much in the way of a dark mask . . .

Thoughts of another minula? - one was ringed in Yorks a week or two ago (and still there) . .

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back