• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

in order of appearance here's mine so far:

1. Carrion Crow
2. Jackdaw
3. Magpie
4. Wood Pigeon
5. Black Headed Gull
6. Starling
7. Lssr Black Backed Gull
8. Pied Wagtail
9. Blue Tit
10. Chaffinch
11. Coal Tit
12. Collared Dove
13. Blackbird
14. Robin
15. Canada Goose
16. Great Tit
17. Long Tailed Tit
18.Song Thrush
19. Greenfinch
20. Housesparrow
21. Great Spotted Woodpecker
22. Dunnock
23. Buzzard

if were doing Feral Pigs aswell....... I go up one :h?:

24. Feral Pigeon ;)

Peter, the temps up there are why there are more Canadians in Hualtulco than Mexicans.;)

Yes, we have an phrase for them up here ... we call them "smart people."

(Or, less charitably, "Gdm lucky b@$!@^ds!")

My yard list (just started yesterday, since I was actually home during daylight hours - for a change) is pretty sad so far:

01) "Slate-coloured" Junco
02) Black-capped Chickadee
03) House Finch
04) Northern Cardinal

#11 Feral Pigeon
I think we must count them 'cos they are self breeding - not escapes.

and one Red Squirrel. Oh! - you don't count these? 3:) (Sadly no flying squirrel anyway...)

Last edited:
Sue...I expect you have seen my No.1 target sea bird numerous times on your oceanic wanderings, wonder if you can get it in one?

;)
What is your #1? I'll bet I haven't seen it. I inadvertently squandered a great opportunity for pelagic birding. When we first began our sailing adventure, everything over the water was a 'seagull';). I didn't spend much focused time looking for birds at sea until about the Med. The first ocean that I pointedly went out to search daily was our last ocean; the Atlantic. Of course, from the beginning, I did notice blatantly different birds: Boobies, Tropicbirds, Petrels (most Petrels when unidentified). I probably saw all kinds of Shearwaters and with a half glance thought of them as 'seagulls'. I did look for and see Little Blue Penguins in NZ and I actively searched for and ID'd terns in OZ. To my knowledge, I have not seen an Albatross (hope that will change when we bring Peregrine north for good in a few years). I don't want to convey that I didn't notice anything, because my love of nature has always driven me to look and learn, but I didn't put an active effort into pelagic until well into the circumnavigation. If I was young enough and strong enough and stupid enough to sail around the world again knowing what I know now....;)

Last edited:
What is your #1? I'll bet I haven't seen it. I inadvertently squandered a great opportunity for pelagic birding. When we first began our sailing adventure, everything over the water was a 'seagull';). I didn't spend much focused time looking for birds at sea until about the Med. The first ocean that I pointedly went out to search daily was our last ocean; the Atlantic. Of course, from the beginning, I did notice blatantly different birds: Boobies, Tropicbirds, Petrels (most Petrels when unidentified). I probably saw all kinds of Shearwaters and with a half glance thought of them as 'seagulls'. I did look for and see Little Blue Penguins in NZ and I actively searched for and ID'd terns in OZ. To my knowledge, I have not seen an Albatross (hope that will change when we bring Peregrine north for good in a few years). I don't want to convey that I didn't notice anything, because my love of nature has always driven me to look and learn, but I didn't put an active effort into pelagic until well into the circumnavigation. If I was young enough and strong enough and stupid enough to sail around the world again knowing what I know now....;)

Well you named It in ''two Sue''....Red-billed Tropicbird to be exact..grace, pace and the ''wow factor'', If I ever get to see one, I don't think I'll be disappointed. :t:

So you're not quite done?
The circumnavigation is finished, but Peregrine is not back in California. We crossed our outbound track last March when we sailed into Zihuatanejo, thirteen years after leaving. We sailed around the world and as far as I am concerned, I am DONE!;) Seriously, we were going to take our time coming home. We planned to head up to the Sea of Cortez and maybe spend a few seasons exploring. Many cruisers (people who sail around and live on their boats) love the Sea and have spent years sailing up and down the coast of Mexico. We thought we would spend the hurricane seasons at home in San Diego County, and the rest of the year in Mexico. We ended up having to change our plans a bit because my Mom needs a little help right now. We've moved in with her and I am very happy to have a kitchen, a bathroom so close I don't have to run the last 100 feet to make it, a toilet that flushes rather than having to be pumped 25 times after use, a washer and dryer, sinks with hot water coming from a tap to do dishes, etc., etc., etc.;) Gene plans on going back to Peregrine in March for a month or so to do some repairs (I'm not holding my breath for that!). He can fly back and forth as the mood strikes him. He and a few buddies might even do the 'Baja Bash' and bring Peregrine home. We don't know what we're going to do, but we are used to that.
Here is a link to Gene's blog post about the crossing the line, and at the end of that there is a link to his article in Latitude 38 (popular sailing magazine) about our finishing:
http://thetwitchingsailor.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-circle-is-unbroken_10.html

Last edited:
21. American Feral Pigeon (californicus)

Now, you're all trying to annoy me with your Feral Pigeons, hmmm, thinks - how do you know it's not a Stowaway Pigeon sp that hitched a ride on your boat? I demand you obtain a, err, sample for DNA analysis;)

Richard (in the feral-free Alps, well, apart from feral cats that is :C )

Before 1994 lived in Sussex about a mile from the sea. There were so very many pigeons and gulls had no pleasure in them at the time!

So, one week into the year, and the garden list is a bit pathetic so far, in terms of number of species, with several of the commoner species yet to put in an appearance (when I've been watching!). Having said that, I have already had my first new species for this garden, with a little egret flying over on the 2nd of January, as I opened my bedroom curtains! So far:

1. Dunnock
2. Blue tit
3. Blackbird
4. Black-headed gull
5. Carrion crow
6. Woodpigeon
7. House sparrow
8. Robin
9. Fieldfare
10. Little egret
11. Great tit
12. Starling
13. Collared dove
14. Magpie
15. Goldfinch
16. Wren

Our garden is typical of many on modern, British housing developments, about 12m x 15m, hemmed in by other gardens, in the middle of a smallish (150 house) development, but on the edge of a rural market town, with farmland less than 50m away to the east and 150m away to the south. The photo is the only one I have of the garden, but it's from a couple of years ago when we had heavy snow!

Attachments

• garden_snow.jpg
    garden_snow.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
The circumnavigation is finished, but Peregrine is not back in California. We crossed our outbound track last March when we sailed into Zihuatanejo, thirteen years after leaving. We sailed around the world and as far as I am concerned, I am DONE!;) Seriously, we were going to take our time coming home. We planned to head up to the Sea of Cortez and maybe spend a few seasons exploring. Many cruisers (people who sail around and live on their boats) love the Sea and have spent years sailing up and down the coast of Mexico. We thought we would spend the hurricane seasons at home in San Diego County, and the rest of the year in Mexico. We ended up having to change our plans a bit because my Mom needs a little help right now. We've moved in with her and I am very happy to have a kitchen, a bathroom so close I don't have to run the last 100 feet to make it, a toilet that flushes rather than having to be pumped 25 times after use, a washer and dryer, sinks with hot water coming from a tap to do dishes, etc., etc., etc.;) Gene plans on going back to Peregrine in March for a month or so to do some repairs (I'm not holding my breath for that!). He can fly back and forth as the mood strikes him. He and a few buddies might even do the 'Baja Bash' and bring Peregrine home. We don't know what we're going to do, but we are used to that.
Here is a link to Gene's blog post about the crossing the line, and at the end of that there is a link to his article in Latitude 38 (popular sailing magazine) about our finishing:
http://thetwitchingsailor.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-circle-is-unbroken_10.html

That is an amazing adventure! :t: I'm in awe; you guys could write a book. I'm not surprised you want some basic comforts like a flushing loo and water from a tap! :gh: Congratulations to you both. B :)

I have already had my first new species for this garden, with a little egret flying over on the 2nd of January, as I opened my bedroom curtains!

New species on 2nd January, that's a good start Lazza, I remember pedalling from Selsey to Pagham Harbour for a 'mega' Little Egret in the '80s - how times have changed........

Congratulations to you both. B :)
Thanks, Joanne. With GPS and electronic maps etc., more people are sailing around the world, maybe 200-300 a year (?). Still, it's a tough trip, and there were a few times where I was physically and emotionally stretched pretty thin.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back