• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A days raptor watching totals. (1 Viewer)

gibman

Hello
For those of you who are interested, numbers of raptors have been constantly crossing since my last post.Today was a particulary nice day.I guess there can't be many places where you just sit out in the company of other fellow birders and wait for the birds to cross.The numbers might not be very high but the company was great.The totals are for an 8 hours watch with birds still crossing as i left.
There was a total of 10 species of raptors + White and Black storks. These are todays total.

Black kites 904
Sparrowhawks 128
Booted eagles 220
Marsh harrier 13
Montagu's harrier 31
Hen harrier 1
Osprey 3
Common kestrel 2
Kestrel sp 2
Buzzard 1
Peregrine 1
White storks 267
Black storks 7

regards to all.

An interesting tally - all the more so for the fact that I'll be c50k to the north of you for a couple of weeks starting this Friday - alhough I won't expect such good totals I'm sure I'll have a similar mix of species. As a matter of interest where were you watching from exactly?

John

Hi John
My usual sight is in Gibraltar, at the Jews gate bird observatory. It is an excellent spot as long as you have the right wind conditions, and best of all a ten minutes walk from home. The obs will be manned for the next few weeks so if you don,t mind driving you will be more than welcome, just remember the wind needs to be from the west for raptor passage.

I've already got a pretty full schedule plus I'm with my non-birding spouse. However, we do hope to have another visit to Gib - the only time we've been (in Feb this year) it poured with rain. I'd certainly like to make some birding contacts on Gib - I've even got relatives there (not the apes!) but I rather much doubt whether any of the Readings (my mother's family) are birders!
John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back