• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor watching in yorkshire (1 Viewer)

Vipers

Brunswick Birder
spent five hours today at a raptor watchpoint in yorkshire. In the first hour we had Kestrel, Sparrow Hawk, Common Buzzard and Goshawk. Then into sight came a superb male Honey Buzzard, which we watched flying around, and perching in trees in full view. He then gained hight and started an amazing display flight. clapping his wings above his back. Then we noticed another big raptor circling towards him, it was a big female Honey. The two birds circled together for about ten minutes before dropping down and disappearing into the forest. From the time the male appeared, to the time both birds dropped into the forest, was about forty five minutes.

After watching a Honey Buzzard for Forty five Minutes, we just sat down to have something to eat, and just think about the superb views we had.
Then a Hobby went zooming past right infront of us, and ten minutes later a juvenile Peregrine flew over the watchpoint and circled off into the distance.

It then went quiet for an hour or so, until the female Honey appeared again and flew right passed us and out of sight. Then as we were about to leave we heard calling from below the watchpoint, and a juvenile Goshawk appeared giving excellent views as it circled, and then disappeared behind the trees again.

All in all an excellent day, with seven raptors seen.

blimey mate! - do they charge for tickets to that place??? - if not, they should.

im well jealous, went out yesterday and the only raptors i had were kestrel and peregrine.

Just logged on again to see if Vipers has said where the raptor site is .... only to see that he isn't saying! I understand why, of course, but why post such a tempting report knowing he can't say where it is.... wish I hadn't read it now.

Sandra

In fairness, Viper did post in "Your Birding Day", I guess he just wanted to share what was a great day out birding? A smashing read though wasn't it! :t:

Sandra (Taylor) said:
Just logged on again to see if Vipers has said where the raptor site is .... only to see that he isn't saying! I understand why, of course, but why post such a tempting report knowing he can't say where it is.... wish I hadn't read it now.

Sandra

Can you not just be happy for a great day someone else had?? I wouldn't be able to keep that trip to myself either but I'm glad he's not advertising where it is.

You could have a similar day out at Wykeham Forest - a well publicised raptor viewpoint where similar birds will be seen.

14:32 15/07/05 Honey Buzzard N Yorks Wykeham Forest
two showing well from viewpoint this morning; also Goshawk, Hobby and Peregrine

If every body reported breeding sites on this forum, it would be a sad day for rare breeding birds in this country.
If nobody reported what they had seen between April and August this forum would be very quiet.

Vipers said:
If every body reported breeding sites on this forum, it would be a sad day for rare breeding birds in this country.
If nobody reported what they had seen between April and August this forum would be very quiet.

I agree with your sentiments Vipers but all this information + location was posted on another well known birding web-site on the 15th. Maybe its better that fellow birders are pointed in the direction of well advertised view points, less likely to disturb less well know locations?

Mick Baron
Leeds

PS I had great views of Honey Buzzards displaying a week earlier, my first experience if the Butterfly like flight.

Its understandable that breeding locations aren't shared as anyone can access the internet and do a search for locations. It is nice to share experience of sighting tho'.

There are some people that have different reasons to search out locations of breeding birds, not just for the joy of seeing them - but for more underlying reasons (theft of egs etc. by collectors).

Of course i was happy for him Tammie - don't be daft - any birder would be! Just disappointed but I understand why. All OK now - found 2 good raptor watching points in Yorkshire so one of these may be the same as his.

Sandra

:t:

Not being 'daft' at all... thankyouverymuch. :C

You didn't exactly sound thrilled for him. In fact, you sounded rather jealous. Hence my statement.

Sandra (Taylor) said:
Of course i was happy for him Tammie - don't be daft - any birder would be!
Sandra

:t:

Wow. I'm very impressed by your days birding, viper, and it has inspired me to go see my own honey buzzards and goshawks. I am thinking of visiting Wykeham, as suggested by Rob. Up until what time of the year can Honey Buzzards be easily seen? Is early Sept, too late? Its just that living on a farm, from now on til then where pretty damn busy. :-(

Hi Chris

Sept is a little bit late for Honeys. But if you get a chance to go to Wykeham any sooner, go for it. Honeys perform best mid morning. Good luck.

Vipers said:
Hi Chris

Sept is a little bit late for Honeys. But if you get a chance to go to Wykeham any sooner, go for it. Honeys perform best mid morning. Good luck.

Cheers, I'm sure I can find a day off somewhere. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back