• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping on the cheap? (2 Viewers)

I have a rather battered Kowa TS-612 Scope with a 20x40 zoom lens. I have recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix 775 which I realise is at the cheaper end of the range, but I can't afford any more at present. I have been experimenting with digiscoping for a few months with mixed success, basically by holding the camera up the eyepice and snapping, hoping for the best. Sometimes the results are fairly good, but unpredictable. I try to take plenty of snaps, hoping that one or two will turn out OK. Generally, most of the pictures I get are slightly blurred. I wonder if this is camera shake or a problem with the autofocus.
I would be really grateful for any advice. Should I go for an attachment? If so is there one which would work with my scope and camera?

It's very likely to be camera shake, this is probably more apparent because the scope doesn't have a very large objective lens and therefore not a great deal of light is reaching the camera.... the camera then chooses a slowish shutter-speed to to rectify the situation, the longer the shutter is open the more chance of movement when handheld (not to mention some movement blur from the subject).

Plenty of info on the cp775 for digiscoping in this forum, the general opinion is that it's not particularly suitable for digiscoping... this is partly due to the fact that few conventional tube type digiscoping adapters work with it (you also need a Nikon lens accessory adapter to give a thread in front of the lens for an adapter to fit onto).
There are digiscoping brackets that will hold the camera up to the scope's eyepiece but these are very awkward and clumsy devices by all accounts.
Not great news for you, I know.
Andy Bright

Hi Brian

Good to see another Hampshire Birder in here.

As andy said, Nikon Coolpix 775 not well suited for digiscoping, or at least not easily attached to a scope in the usual way via the 28mm thread on the other Coolpix cameras.

Have a look at Andy’s site
http://digiscopingukbirds.homestead.com/

Where you will find loads of info and answers to other questions on Digiscoping.

Up until recently I was using a TS-611 with pretty good results.
An adapter is well worth getting and Coolpix 995 is available second hand for around £300+ it all depends how far you want to go.

I still have the scope with adapter and 20X lens that would fit your scope I believe, and is more suited to Digiscoping than the zoom you currently have, so let me know if you want more info.

Regards

Rich

Last edited:
HI Brian, my setup is almost identical to yours, I use the 775 (not through choice - I bought it before I had heard of digiscoping) but I have a Kowa TSN3. I have found you need the optical zoom fully out (but be careful not to go into the digital zoom as this makes the picture quality poor - maybe the blurring you are talking of). I hand hold the camera up to the eyepeice and then let it autofocus and them manually fine focus the scope looking into the TV screen - it is a real palaver and I have to take 20 shots to get 1 good one. Not ideal at all and no good for a bird on the move or if you need to hurry. However, it is all I have and the good ones are worth the effort. So most of mine are taken at feeders or are of water birds that are not too mobile. The higher spec Coolpix cameras are ideal or if you really want to push the boat out I have seen a brochure on the new Leica Digilux - but that si worthy of it's own thread to get the views of our forum experts. Have fun trying.

Doug: I tested out the Leica digilux/leica digiscoping adapter/Leica APO77 at the Birdfair.... may be a nice camera but it ain't for the digiscoper, sad to see the Leica guys trying to push it with Nikon next to them with their set-up.

Lots of vignetting with the Leica camera... and that was with the lowest mag e.p! Even the couple of prints they had as examples looked rather sad, at least they left the vignetting on the print.... that's honesty for you.
Andy

Andy, Richard and Doug

Many thanks to you all for your very helpful replies. This is a fantastic forum.
Like Doug, I am stuck with the equipment I have got for the present so I have got to make the best of it. I don';t plan to go in for competitions!
I have been digiscoping an Egret today, experimenting with different settings, but with little effect. Even the best pics look slightly out of focus. Like Doug, I have to take about 20 to get a reasonable one. I think focussing is the proble. Unlike Doug I find using the optical zoom makes the end product worse. Having the camera set on macro seems to get the best results.

Overall, I find the 775 an excellent little camera for carrying around. I take it everywhere. The camera is excellent for keeping a pictorial record of my wildlife observations, particularly good for flower and insect close-ups.

Incidentally, Richard I am a frequent visitor to your web site (through hoslist) to see your lovely pics. Liked the Purple Sandpipers. I didiscoped the Twite at Langstone last week which came out not too bad. I put them all on my web site for what they are worth.

Many thanks, again.

Brian

I too have a 775 and used it in conjuctiomn with a Bushnell spacemaster scope with a 15-45 zoom, unless you use an adaptor you will get camera shake. I solved the problem by makeing my own. I first bought a Nikon adaptor which clips over the camera then cut a short length of plastic pipeing the right size to slide over the camera adaptor and over the zoom, lastly I got an 82 steel shelf angle , straightened it, drilled lholes in the right places, one end supports the camera and the other end is attached to the tripod thus eliminating most camera shake, For best results I use the 3 second timer.

When I first started digiscoping I used the three-second timer often, to eliminate camera shake.

Andy will know for sure, but I would expect you could use the Jessops adapter and standard cable release, with your set-up, which would cost no more that £30 for the whole lot. I am sure this would help you as you have a better chance to "capture" birds that don't often hang around and wait for three seconds.

Regards

Rich

I forgot to mention the referance number for the Nikon adaptor/converter is Nikon UR-E3. If you need any more info I'll be only too glad to help if I can.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back