• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

my first male ruby throat (1 Viewer)

krazyhorse

i was so excited when they started coming, as i look forward to there return every year, however in order to get a good picture would be difficult as they are hitting my feeders at such odd hours so i sat and waited and took several shots , was quite pleased with the results

Attachments

• openarms©04BK.jpg
    openarms©04BK.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 232
Persistance certainly pays off. That's a lovely shot. I am soooo jealous of you this moment. I am patiently waiting for the arrival of my first hummer. One would think I would temper my enthusiasm but I still anxiously await the arrival of the first one.

krazyhorse said:
i was so excited when they started coming, as i look forward to there return every year, however in order to get a good picture would be difficult as they are hitting my feeders at such odd hours so i sat and waited and took several shots , was quite pleased with the results
Excellent shot - nice contrast! What speed film do you use for hummers or is it digital?

Glad to hear it - I too just purchased a panasonic lumix F1 - 12x mag. Do you use a tripod? My close ups seems out of focus - just need to practice I guess!

yes indeed for these hummers i sit and wiat, lol, sometimes several hours for one shot, then i hope it come out properly, as of rite now they are still not very active, also i use full manual on my camera(old 35mm slr person) so manual focus and manual a/s/m, thanks yall for the comments

THanks for advice bobky - have you seen my photos posted lately - they're all taken with the lumix - haven't tried the macro mode yet - can't really get that close to most birds but whenever the hummers decide to show up around here, I'll try it then.

FINALLY!!! The first ruby-throated hummingbird flew to one of my feeders late this afternoon! The feeders have been out since April 7....that was they day one was listed on the migration map site as appearing really close to me.

I had about given up! Not really, but was just sure they would be at my place earlier than usual....but I am just glad they are here....period!

awsome marianna, ya got to love when the first ones show up, it always a highlight of spring for me, ive been watching hummers in my yard for about 10 years now but never really had any good pics of them, mainly do to film cost and how many bad pics i get, digital makes a difference,as of yet though it is not peak time for them here it will be however in july, last year i had a 30+ count on themhopiung for more this summer, not that im greedy or anything, but it is such a hoot to be grilling outside on the bbq and these lil buggers run into me while chasing each other, ive actually had them perch on me before mind you red shirt and very still

Thanks again bobky - printed off one of sites you suggested - this photo site is fun - I do love the medium of photography - instant gratification!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back