• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

15x50 Fuzzy Image...Improved (1 Viewer)

Hi Ron,

While waiting for someone to let me know how to do it and on a completely different topic, is there still a 'Radio Hilversum' ? There was also 'Radio Luxembourg'. We used to listen to these radio stations in England on homemade crystal radios in the 50's and then transistor radios early in the 60's until the pirate radio stations hit the airwaves. I still remember the day the music changed for a day on both stations when the assination of Kennedy was announced !!!

Doug......

Last edited:
Hey Doug, great! Thanks!

OMG look at all that meticulous artwork; real craftsmanship.
The tripod fitting is indeed secured by 4 screws. But into what material, I wonder.

To answer your question when we were in the waiting room:
yes, Radio Hilversum still exists, now on 5 channels called Radio 1 ... 5.
Mostly news items, talk radio and light music. In the early nineteen-seventies I would listen to the pirate radio stations Radio Caroline, Radio Noordzee and Radio Veronica,
for groovy music and hip talks. Veronica is now a full-fledged television channel. Hilversum BTW is the television and radio town of the Netherlands.

Best regards,

Ronald

Last edited:
Maybe we can petition Canon to make a film "How our IS's are made" much in the same way Steiner has done....

Ronald

Doug I don't suppose you have a parts diagram for a Kowa 824! It fell over and dislodged the prism and cracked the housing.

It´s indicative of one of the major weaknesses of Canon IS binos, though. They´re "technical", and complicated. I had pretty lousy experiences with a pair of 12x36 that got knocked out of collimation, sent back 3 times for repair and although the collimation was repaired, the IS-system (which hadn´t been damaged), was replaced and never worked properly again. It just makes me a little suspicious - perhaps we need our binos to be "bomb-proof", or at least serviceable. I don´t like having to "baby" bins.

This is just a reminder for those on the Canon IS, bandwagon. Sancho,
knows his optics, and also some experiences when good things go bad.;)

Jerry

Hi,

Try this....

Doug......
Hello Doug,

I am a new member who has been lurking in the background for a while.

I have recently acquired a new 18x50, with focus wheel backlash. I agreed a large discount on price when I found this known problem and have thus decided to keep them.

I have disassembly pictures from Cloudynights and together with your parts catalog, I have enough info to pull them apart and repair, if the backlash gets any worse.

The only unknown is collimating ........ if required.

Thanks,

Gary

If it is a new binocular then Canon should repair it under warranty.

I wouldn't try to recollimate it myself.

I have no problems with my 18x50 after more than twenty years of use.

B.

If it is a new binocular then Canon should repair it under warranty.

I wouldn't try to recollimate it myself.

I have no problems with my 18x50 after more than twenty years of use.

B.
Hello Binastro,

Recently bought new off eBay UK, with no retail receipt, so don't believe Canon would honour a warranty claim.
I then found the focus wheel backlash (~10 degrees) common problem (latest Taiwan versions) and instead of sending them back to the seller, I agreed a discount.......and have taken the 'risk'. The backlash is not too annoying and for £690/$900+ saving, I can live with it.

That is why I was keen to study the focus mechanism, to see what the problem could be. IF (big if) it stays as is, then all is good and worst case I believe I could disassemble and locate & fix the problem. Failing that, I could approach Canon for a paid repair .....

What is not clear is how these are collimated, if they lost collimation after a rebuild by me.

Regards,

Gary

Gary,

Canon used to have fixed price repairs, maybe around £500.

But I am not sure if they still do this.

Canon U.K. work a few years ago was very good, but there have been less good reports from others.

It might be worth while knowing how to do repairs on the Canon 18x50.
But if the Taiwan 18x50s have this problem, personally I'd wait till it gets worse.

Unless, of course, you are experienced working on binoculars.
Some binoculars need special tools.

That is quite a big discount.
Rather strange, I think.

Regards,
B.

But if the Taiwan 18x50s have this problem, personally I'd wait till it gets worse.
Yes, that is the plan........

If they stay as are, then I have no intention of pulling apart.

However, Cloudynights does have a post from a few years ago showing that it is not actually too complex, with only a few screws to gain access.

I suspect the actual backlash is a tolerance problem in the mechanism. These bins seem to push a bar forward and backwards and thus move the objectives/intermediate lens assembly in the forward nose.

Currently there seem to be many reports of the new versions doing this, including other sizes (I think 12x36). Most are addressed by returning to the shop or a Canon warranty claim.

Fingers crossed 🤞 all will be well.....

Thanks,

Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back