• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummer in Hand (1 Viewer)

rillcreek said:
Taken just last week...these guys sure are addictive!
Isn't that the neatest feeling ? I had that experience when I rescued a ruby throat that had gotten stuck inside our porch. I scooped it up and it sat on my finger as I held it up to the feeder. It drank and drank and then lifted off like a helicopter!!

Wow, rillcreek you are lucky to have a picture of it.

They bring such a lively joy when ever they are around. I get a laugh at watching our very agressive Rufus male chase off even the orioles!

Nothing terribly spectaular to report here in Indiana, except that all of a sudden there seem to be more hummingbirds around! Whee! I have seen several males and females today, where before they have been mighty scarce. This morning one of my feeders visibly diminished...(well, not the feeder, but the nectar IN the feeder!)

Actually, one of my fancy hummingbird feeders DID disappear...parts of it anyway! It was made up of a lovely copper coil holder, a wine bottle, and a clay painted flower. Bought at an art fair. I think a raccoon demolished it...found the bottle about 25 feed away, but the rubber stopper and tube with bee guard are not to be found. And so it goes!

I gotta add something. Today at around 7pm I saw my years first humminbird. And that was only the second one that I've ever seen.
marcus

Thanks all...

I'm still taking pictures like mad :) I don't know what I'm going to do when these guys leave for their winter home...I'll sure miss the activity. I bought a 16 ounce feeder, and I have to fill it once a day, I just can't believe the number of hummers! And I've got lots of hummingbird favorites in my garden as well, so they should be well fed before they leave on their journey. Here's another picture...took it before dark with my flash...looks like it's night out though.
hummernight.jpg

rillcreek said:
I'm still taking pictures like mad :) I don't know what I'm going to do when these guys leave for their winter home...I'll sure miss the activity. I bought a 16 ounce feeder, and I have to fill it once a day, I just can't believe the number of hummers! And I've got lots of hummingbird favorites in my garden as well, so they should be well fed before they leave on their journey. Here's another picture...took it before dark with my flash...looks like it's night out though.
hummernight.jpg
Terrific photo - is that a rufous?

amasara said:
Terrific photo - is that a rufous?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a Rufous. With all the immatures around I have a hard time distingushing the Rufous from the Calliopes when they're flying. And unfortunately the flash didn't leave much color on this hummer :(
Thanks for the comment!
Donna

What a wonderful picture of the hummer! Wow! Wow!

A couple nights ago, my next-door neighbor came calling to my door with "a little hummingbird with a broken wing". Neighbor was beside himself....terribly distressed and the little female hummer was really 'crying'. In the process of opening his hands to show me her 'broken' wing, she somehow ended up in MY hands, where she gave a one-wing sputter, and then both wings kicked in, and off she went! (I so hope she didn't careen into something in the dark and hurt herself more!)

I think she had stunned herself when she flew into neighbor's screened in porch and got hopelessly confused....and I merely happened to be holding her when her faculties returned.

However, he is saying I have "healing hands". :eek:) (Wish I DID!)

Bono said:
You eat them??? :C

Just the tongues. Breast meat is too tough. :)
One spring, when Allens and Rufous were migrating through, had 5 species at the same time, at my feeders in Baja California, Mexico. Allens, Rufous, Xantus, Costas, and Annas. Rufous were very territorial, but there were so many birds they just gave up.

Craig

Gorgeous photo. Gorgeous bird. I am so envious; i feel lucky when these little guys just drink our sugar water. Vik

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back