• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Was i cheated? Canon 8x25 IS image quality and stabilization (1 Viewer)

gekanukr

Hello dear birdforum participants. I want to share my story with you.
Around 2 weeks ago i won new canon binoculars on ebay. (here is the lot http://www.ebay.com/itm/300600272590). I've already owned 10x30 before and they were amazing but i had to sell them, so now decided to buy 8x25 ones.
I've received the binoculars today and got really frustrated. The condition was perfect as they were stated as new but after looking through them i noticed that the image is little overcontrasted, not sharp and quite dark, i really thought they were fake ones at first because 10x30 were perfect for me and these ones seemed even worse than my old 20$ tasco 8x21, i can see more throught tasco than through canons. So i tried to adjust the sharpness at first but i didn't succeed! :eek!: First i used the basic top regulator and i also noticed the regulator was really tough to adjust, i had to use 2 fingers to turn it! lol So after trying to adjust the image i can't say something changed a lot, i couldn't get the sharpless image, the image stayed blurred, then i tried to use the regulator on a eyepiece and it didn't help all the same. I got much more sad when i tried to stabilizate the image on, i pressed the button and i ddin't see anything stabilized! it lights up on the top but no changes apply on the image, shaking doesn't go away.. The i tried to investigate the box, i found a part on the box that was painted over with a black marker, so i wiped this part and read "refurbished".. Thiough the item looked like new.
Finally, the seller says that thats the way they should work and im not right, he says the following things:

When I first purchased the binos, I called Cannon USA about it - that model was designed for portability and cost. If you check online, there is a different image stabilizing technology being used. It is not as advanced as the more expensive models. Certainly, the image stabilizing is working. They are a good pair of binos --- image stabilizing for a lower cost!

The next model up, the 10x30, is what I decided to purchase after these (more money though! Another $200!). The image stabilizing on the 10X30 is superior to the 8X25 - BUT you pay for it!

The binos I sent you are new - just the way I got them from the store. Those binos are actually really great. You do get image stabilizing at almost half the cost of the next model up. I think this is a good deal for you - plus you already paid for the shipping. You should keep them.

The 8X25 IS uses a image stabilizer Tilt System with Corrective Optics. See below for proof:
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_184135_-1
The next model up, the 10x 30 uses the superior image stabilizer Vari-Angle Prism. Se below for proof.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_172516_-1
They are different. In fact, if you look ONLY the 8x25 you have uses the lower quality Tilt System with Corrective Optics.

Dear people. Please comment these statements. Thanks

Last edited:
I made a video with a stabilization attempts. I can hear the locks inside as it was with my 10x30 but it doesn't change the image.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0idAsuz-Zr0
The image also seems to be sharp on the video but its really not when you loook trough them, comparing to my old 10x30.
Its also very hard to adjust the binos with a top regulator, i hardly can do it with one finger, its very tough to turn it. I think they were opened for a rufurbishing attempt. What do you think people?
Thanks

Last edited:
I don't like the Canon IS 8x25 model. It has a cheap plastic housing, poor build quality, and the IS system it employs "jerks" the image too much when you press the IS button, and is useless when panning greenery for birds, as it takes a long time for the image to "settle".
That said, the optics are very good for the price, and the pair I had gave a bright, flat and contrasty image that reminded me of higher-quality Nikon binos. When the IS-engaged image settles, it is very stable indeed.
It sounds therefore as though you have been sold a sub-standard unit, and you should demand a refund.

Thanks for replies. I really appreciate.
I've just received the comments from Canon:
http://i.piccy.info/i7/db33b1b836ccf165f20a8e21089cddc2/1-5-397/36436808/Snymok.jpg
They also said before they think there is an issue with IS lense..
Anyway the things are bad:( because i will have to waste money to ship it back..
I was going to change the battery but they are really expensive here, moreove i think they wouldn't light up if the battery was experied, would they?
Another remark, i noticed that the sharpness can't be adjusted on the right earpiece but it can be on the left one, so it comes when i look through them the right earpiece isn't smooth but the left one is. Though i can't find a perfect image qulity even watching only with 1 left eye, i had much better imag quality with 10x30.. its quite dark and overcontrastted. I think u're right guys, there is something wrong with them unfortunately.

Last edited:
in the UK eBay purchases come under the Distance Selling Regulations, as you have not actually seen the item prior to purchase, you have a cooling off period, do similar laws exist in your country? I would have thought any reputable seller would offer a refund, but of course only after the item was returned

My Canon 8 x 25 IS is about 20 years old. It has been on board my motor boat since new - even during winter lay-up. I have enjoyed this unit all these years being able to keep outlook for navigational purposes. The image quality is not as sharp as on a high-end binocular, but the stabilizing more than compensates this making the Canon 8 x 25 IS a far better choice for less money.
Now, the Canon is for the first time in service. The battery is draining quickly and the stabilizing works badly. It has been a long and good time together with this binocular and I now wait for the answer from the service if it is cost-effective to repair or should I rather buy a new similar.

My Canon 8 x 25 IS is about 20 years old. It has been on board my motor boat since new - even during winter lay-up. I have enjoyed this unit all these years being able to keep outlook for navigational purposes. The image quality is not as sharp as on a high-end binocular, but the stabilizing more than compensates this making the Canon 8 x 25 IS a far better choice for less money.
Now, the Canon is for the first time in service. The battery is draining quickly and the stabilizing works badly. It has been a long and good time together with this binocular and I now wait for the answer from the service if it is cost-effective to repair or should I rather buy a new similar.
Sounds like an opportunity / necessity for replacement. 20 years is a good life.

The 10x30 ii could be the candidate ...... I don't have this one, but with the new improved stabilisation of the second generation and flat field to the edge, there is little at the same price to compete.

With more money, there are more options eg Sig Sauer ( I don't have either). It has a larger angle stabilisation, which could be more beneficial on a boat with greater movement. However, if the 8x25 IS was sufficient and obviously far better than muggle bins, then maybe the 10x30 would save the cash over more costly IS options.

Good luck.

Terve klasal,

I had 2 versions of the 8x25 IS, with quite different stabilisation.
One I think on the prisms, one near the front lens.

Both worked well, but the optical window fell out on both and were repaired FOC by Canon UK.
There is very little room for the glue.

The Canon 10x30 IS latest model has the best stabiliser of any of my Canons.

But if you find an unused 8x25 IS it could be good although the build quality isn't great.

Terveisin,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back