• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (7 Viewers)

Melanie

Germany
2017 will be a feast for bookworms.

It begins with the HBW and Birdlife Illustrated Checklist Vol 2. Passerines.
Than we have a second revised edition of Extinct Birds by Julian Pender Hume.
The most anticipated volume of the HMW will be published on the mouse-like rodents. (HMW 7: Rodents II)
And hopefully 2017 there will be the year of Hadoram Shirihai (when else?) with four books in the row: Birds of the Western Palearctic: A Photographic Guide, Field Guide of the Seabirds of the World, and the two volumes of Birds of the World.
Another interesting book project is The Last Quagga which will be published in Dutch this week. The author Reinier Spreen is currently working on an English translation for an international publishing which will be hopefully in 2017.

Last edited:
Argentina, Pearman................oh and HMW 6 which I doubt actually exists as I still haven't got one!

A

I hope you get HMW 6 before the Argentina books appear. It's a sad state of affairs in both cases!

As for the 2017 original topic: the Indonesia FG is likely to ship in the first months. I have no immediate plans to go there, but the book will definitely fill a painful void. Though the by far most important 2017 publication for me will be Vol. 2 of the Illustrated Checklist by Lynx. :t:

Aim very much looking forward to the New Guinea guide by Phil Gregory as well as the new field guide to Venezuela.

Venezuela, is this the David Ascano one?

I was with him last year, he told me that a new Tapaculo will be described for the first time in his book.

A

Birds of Brazil by Zimmer & Whittaker

Or is this another ghost like the one for Argentina by Pearman?

I would like to have the following:
Birds of China (a decent field guide)
Birds of Argentina (a field guide to start with)
Birds of Bolivia (same)
Birds of Brazil (a field guide with detailed art work)
Fieldguide of the Amazonian biome with detailed range maps including rivers etc.)

Birds of China (a decent field guide)
Birds of Argentina (a field guide to start with)
Birds of Bolivia (same)
Birds of Brazil (a field guide with detailed art work)
Fieldguide of the Amazonian biome with detailed range maps including rivers etc.)

I think that the sheer volume of birds in Brazil, means that it's almost impossible to produce a 'field guide' in the traditional sense especially in the detail you / we would like?

Have you got Guia de Campo - Birds of Amazonian Brazil? It's a small book but illustrations are pretty good though range maps are small and not of that much use but it does illustrate what a challenge it is to produce such a book in a portable format.

All books for countries with such big lists will have to compromise somehow.

Andy

I think the new CSIRO publishing Australian field guide should be out next year too.

That has an almost similar history as the Pearman Argentina one. With the obvious difference that there are great FGs presently available for Australia. So it will need to have a superb standard to succeed. Possibly part of the problem why it takes so long.

....Birds of Argentina (a field guide to start with)

Well there actually IS a FG for the Argentina, just not one that satisfies present standards/requirements. But the Narosky-Yzurieta book was extremely helpful when I visited 11 years ago.

Venezuela, is this the David Ascano one?

I was with him last year, he told me that a new Tapaculo will be described for the first time in his book.

A

Yes it's that one. I also question the need for yet another Australian field guide whilst acknowledging that books from CSIRO Publishing tends to be of top quality (also tends to be very expensive).

Last edited:
Is there the market for another Australian guide?

A

It's a mystery to me why there would be; one would think with four available not counting photo guides the market would be pretty saturated. But a publisher has been paying a team to work on it for a few years, so they obviously think the answer is yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back