• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thick-billed Kingbird in western Arizona (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
Saw this guy hanging out over the Colorado river last week in western Arizona. He would alternate his sallying perch from a utility pole on the east bank of the river (actually, by the time it gets to Yuma, Arizona the Colorado River is nothing more than a slow-moving creek) to a large Cottonwood tree that overhung the river on the west bank.

When I first saw it flying over the river I thought "Kingfisher" because of the massive bill.

Attachments

• tbkb.jpg
    tbkb.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 147
Nice catch, Terry! They breed in my corner of Southeast corner of Arizona, but I've yet to see one - that I know of.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back