• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (39 Viewers)

I wonder where the nearest site is that has breeding Shelduck, Shoveler AND Gadwall?

A quick spin through the WMBC annual reports indicates that Drayton Bassett Pits (now Middleton RSPB) also achieved this feat in 2008 (2 broods of 6 and 9 Shelduck young, 4 broods of Gadwall and 1 pair of Shoveler with 2 young)

I have just received a text - for those that know him and there will be many, many birders over the years that have made his acquaintence - Eric Phillips has passed away:C This has come as a terrible shock, i only saw him just over a week ago @ Whittington. I don't have any other details and am sorry to be the bearer of bad news as i know a number of regulars go back a long way.....

Laurie -

I have just received a text - for those that know him and there will be many, many birders over the years that have made his acquaintence - Eric Phillips has passed away:C This has come as a terrible shock, i only saw him just over a week ago @ Whittington. I don't have any other details and am sorry to be the bearer of bad news as i know a number of regulars go back a long way.....
Laurie -

That is very very sad news - very much part of the West Mids birding scene. Saw him only a few weeks ago at the Citril Finch twitch

Hi folks,

A couple of pics of the Black Tern that spent the day on the sailing pool.:t:

It was still present when I left about 5.15pm

Chris 8-P

Attachments

• bt 2 copy.jpg
    bt 2 copy.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 98
  • bt 3 copy.jpg
    bt 3 copy.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 107
An extract from the RSPB Midlands region Volunteers Magazine today giving details of Gary`s birding expedition for those who are interested/

Richard

Attachments

• New_1_DSCF1487__1433166810_88.105.223.205.jpg
    New_1_DSCF1487__1433166810_88.105.223.205.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 73
Beginners' Birdwatching course seems to have generated good feedback from course members again. Several people say that they now have the confidence to come again on their own so there may be some new faces around who will respond to a bit of gentle encouragement.
It was great for several of us to bump into a birder who started at one of our courses!

Update from Moors: Med Gull 2 nd summer. Chicks- GCG 1; Lapwing 1.Oyc 1+2. . Snipe . Oycs 5. Common tern 5.

FLASHES: Chicks - Avocet 22 (runty lost): lapwing 1 meadow. 3 in front. 2 in delta. Shelduck 8. Shoveler 3 poss 4. .........med gull 1st summer. Avocet 28 ads. Lapwing12. Oyc 2. Lrp 4. Blackwits 2.

A more detailed report: Gale force winds forced many birds to hunker down, hopefully the Wednesday crew will be able to find more chicks.
MOORS: c300 swift fed over the pool early morning, The LBBG's are taking their toll of BHG chicks, this has meant that many BHG's are now relaying - unfortunately some have chosen the rafts and we now have only 2 sitting common tern. The 1st brood oystercatcher is now 20 days old and has rapidly grown. And will put another spurt on with the amount of massive worms being brought to it today. Its just a pity that lapwing chicks don't grow as quickly. The continued appearance of a snipe is intriguing, all our wintering snipe have long gone so who knows what this one is up to. Several little grebes were seen but as yet no chicks, which is also the same with the mute swan.

FLASHES: Once again the Flashes were alive with action. Menacingly a couple of LBBG and a carrion crow were patrolling the 3rd Flash. But interestingly a lapwing attacked the crow when it ventured towards 'the oaktree' and the lapwing then dropped down in front of the oak. I am 90% sure that there are chicks hidden in the marshy area behind the reeds. The shelduck chicks are now beyond the capability of LBBG's and should go on to fledge. Unfortunately the 3 or 4 shoveler are still looking very vulnerable. On the Avocet front 'runty' 1 of the 3 on the east shore has been lost, but all the other 22 chicks are doing well.
species count: Shoveler 4 (2 prs), shelduck 10 ads (+1 male on moors), gadwall pr, tufted 10, greylag 17, Avocet 28 ads + 22 ch, lapwing 12 ads + 6 ch, LRP 4 , Oystercatcher 2 ads, Black tailed godwit 2, Med Gull 1st sum, raven 2, cuckoo 2, swift 80,

Last edited:
very busy on the flashes this lunchtime - felt sorry for the mallard family especially when it got 'moved' on by a shelduck and a trio of avocets at the same time.

not too sure about the warbler (from the Jacobs Hide on the Moors) - would appreciate an id

Hi Ivan
a reed warbler mate:t: john

Brood F1 - hatched 4 young south of the second Flash on 17/05; not definitively seen since but regular adult activity in the area plus the appearance of 2 larger chicks in right of the reeds on 28/05 indicate they may have survived
Brood F2 - hatched 4 young on the right hand side of the sewage meadow on 19/02; reduced to 2 on 27/05 with both still present on 30/05 Only 1 seen today
Brood F3 - hatched 1 young on the left hand side of the sewage meadow on 22/05; not seen subsequently
Brood F4 - hatched 4 young to the right of the hide near the delta from 24/05; reduced to 2 on 27/05 with 2 still present on 30/05: still 2 today
Brood F5 - hatched 4 young in from the main hide from 28/05; still 3 young on 29/05 and 30/05: still 3 today
Brood F6 - still sitting
Brood M1 - hatched 4 young in the Broadmeadow from 22/05; relocated to Amy's Marsh with only 1 young seen on 29/05 and 30/05: only 1 seen today

In total to date six pairs have produced 21 young of which at least 8 were still present as at 30/05, with a pair still to hatch

The only year I can find that has produced more young was 1996 when 22 young were hatched, of which 13 went on to fledge.

Thus 6 chicks on Flashes + 1 still sitting should hatch soon and 1 chick on Amy's marsh

The lapwing chicks go round in circles and 7 of the shelduck chicks

Attachments

• lapwing chicks DSCF7458.jpg
    lapwing chicks DSCF7458.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 67
  • shldk chksDSCF7443.jpg
    shldk chksDSCF7443.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 68
A windy afternoon at the flashes and a quck visit to the Moors pools afterwards. The Avocet and Shelduck chicks have really grown since my last visit but it was good to catch the Lapwing and Oystercatcher chicks this time. Also got a Cuckoo, my first of the year. Always good people to chat with too.
1. Lapwing chick
2. Cuckoo
3. Cuckoo
4. Black Tailed Godwit
5. Pair of Little Ringed Plover leading a Black Headed Gull away from the nest.

Attachments

• BOBT_04990 -2.jpg
    BOBT_04990 -2.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 76
  • BOBT_05027 -2.jpg
    BOBT_05027 -2.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 106
  • BOBT_05037 -2.jpg
    BOBT_05037 -2.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 121
  • BOBT_05071 -2.jpg
    BOBT_05071 -2.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 125
  • BOBT_05010 -2.jpg
    BOBT_05010 -2.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 70
A windy afternoon at the flashes and a quck visit to the Moors pools afterwards. The Avocet and Shelduck chicks have really grown since my last visit but it was good to catch the Lapwing and Oystercatcher chicks this time. Also got a Cuckoo, my first of the year. Always good people to chat with too.
1. Lapwing chick
2. Cuckoo
3. Cuckoo
4. Black Tailed Godwit

Thanks for posting Bob...good to see you yesterday mate.

water levels

Yesterday I opened both sluices.
MOORS: Here we intend to drop the level by an inch or so over the next few days. This will allow a muddy area in Amy's marsh scrape to appear. This will aid lapwing and dabing duck rearing and wader feeding.

FLASHES: Here I opend the sluice for 4 hours and dropped the level by half a cm. Muddy patches formed in the delta and saucer where lapwing chicks are feeding.
Levels Moors 0.79 & Flashes 0.47....if you visit today or tomorrow could you let me know what the levels are. B :) john

1. Lapwing chick
2. Cuckoo
3. Cuckoo
4. Black Tailed Godwit

Great pics....not even heard a Cuckoo yet......:t:

Attachments

• gazza in actionDSCF7391.jpg
    gazza in actionDSCF7391.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 88
  • twitter biking bider and me DSCF7413.jpg
    twitter biking bider and me DSCF7413.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 165

Users who are viewing this thread

Back