• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seen in Indiana (1 Viewer)

GardenToad

Retired Sailor
These black birds are common here in Northern Indiana. My friend said it is a Brewers Blackbird, but I didn't think they came this far east. Any help?

Attachments

• Blackbird.jpg
    Blackbird.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 85
These black birds are common here in Northern Indiana. My friend said it is a Brewers Blackbird, but I didn't think they came this far east. Any help?

You're right, they (mostly) do not occur in Indiana, although I imagine there would be a small number passing through on migration (there is a small breeding population in Western Ontario).

Visible Grackle features in the given image are thick bill, and longer tail.

This is a Common Grackle (cf bill and tail size especially), but there is a very localized population of breeding Brewer's Blackbirds in north central Indiana. They have been seen for several years in a group of Amish farms. At my best guess, there may be up to 20-25 birds.

Otherwise, Brewer's is an uncommon migrant and a very rare winter visitor in Indiana. Confusion with Rusty Blackbirds and Common Grackles is a common occurrence here at all seasons.

-Kirk

Thanks to all. I don't have a good picture of the grackle or the Brewers Blackbird in my bird books. They are 30 years old. Guess it's time to get some up to date ones. Appreciate the replies.

GardenToad, from another northern Indiana person - Brewer's Blackbirds can be found here, in one of two situations. First, there are occasionally a few Brewer's within a larger migrating flock of other blackbirds like Red-wingeds. Another is that there are very small pockets here and there of breeding Brewer's. There is one of those just north and west of the intersection of U.S. Route 30 and Indiana Route 49, where there was once a sod farm.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back