• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow and white bird in southern Alberta, Canada (1 Viewer)

Chayston

This little guy (or gal) has been hanging around our yard all afternoon. My kids thought the bird was hurt or domesticated as it lets us approach within a few feet and will land quite close. It also has a green band around it's right leg. I've searched with no success so I thought I would test the collective knowledge here.

Attachments

• 20160606_183014-1.jpg
    20160606_183014-1.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20160606_183025-1.jpg
    20160606_183025-1.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 32
Thanks to all who replied. I feel like a fool - the search I did on whatbird came up empty so I of course thought it must be some rare species. Not 10 minutes after posting my wife said that it looks like a Canary - sure enough she's right! - can this be our little secret?;) By the way - my kids have reported a few other colorful birds around today so it sound like someones birds have flown the coop (sorry - I couldn't resist the phrasing).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back