• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

Cheers Brian - at the moment its a joint record with both birds present for 4 days but who knows what tomorrow may bring. Amazed it hasnt cleared out with several relatively clear nights.

Phil

Like John said in an earlier post, the habitat must suit Phaloropes, ecology is a fine balance and it seems the correct balance is being found at the flashes for Phalaloropes, the salinity of the water must produce the perfect mix of prey for them, if not they certainly would'nt return year after year, and it would seem this year with the weather we are having has produced an abundance of food for the Phaloropes, hence their prolonged stay.

Like John said in an earlier post, the habitat must suit Phaloropes, ecology is a fine balance and it seems the correct balance is being found at the flashes for Phalaloropes, the salinity of the water must produce the perfect mix of prey for them, if not they certainly would'nt return year after year, and it would seem this year with the weather we are having has produced an abundance of food for the Phaloropes, hence their prolonged stay.

Or perhaps they are just masochists who enjoy being kicked about by Avocets?

First the bad news ..Avocet chicks down to 16 . Log entry for 8am today @ bloody fox carried off a black and white bird from the sewage works field - hope it wasn't an Avocet ' ...Unfortunately the figures would suggest it was. This was one of the brood of 3 (the youngest chicks at 21 days) another one disappeared the previous day. This was the brood feeding along the 'old channel ' in front of the sewage works, now only 1.

That brings us to the rest of the news The Phalarope still doing its bit.
LRP 10 ads plus 2 chicks (15 days old), Lapwing 6 ads plus chick (35 days old)
Avocet 12 adults an increase of 2 since 31st May. Chicks 16 in age order and by pair: (C) 3(36 days): ( A & B) 4 and 2 (35 days): (E) 4 (31 days): (F) 2 (26 days): (H) 1 (21 days). The good news is that at least 9 are flying
4 curlew roosted, 1 Oyc
Water rail adult, Loads of reed warblers foraging at the edge of the reed beds.
also Mallard 181 adults plus 9 broods, Shelduck pr,
B :)John

Another evening to lift the soul at UW. The RNP still showing like a diva (my thanks to John for the loan of the scope for a closer look). A squadron of young avocets showing just how well they can fly and then, just as the evening chill began...

A water rail weaving in and out of the reeds beneath the oak tree (my thanks to Wheatearlp for the spot and again letting me pinpoint it through his scope - it was one of the birds I'd come to see and would never have done so without assistance) then John spotted a Roe deer in the corner of a field behind the first flash and a few moments later two curlew dropped down to roost close in front of the hide.

As I left I spooked another Roe (possibly the same one but looked greyer) in the hedge behind the Hen Brook hide and there was a late cuckoo calling from somewhere over what I think is called the education reserve (the back of the reservoir).

Great stuff for a newly born-again birder like me.

Hope this never gets mundane. Thanks again for the assistance guys.

Paul

Red Necked Phalarope
This was the first time since Saturday I have seen the bird in good light, I closely studied it and after looking at Dave's and Gert's photos, in my opinion it is the original bird
The right side of the front upper neck is more extensively white than the left side and the right upper red is flecked white giving a slight orange appearance.
Front on the red white demarcation is 'jagged' and not clean as in the 2nd bird photos.
I therefore have not seen two birds.
:-CJohn
On the positive side this bird has been present for 6 days
open for debate.

Red Necked Phalarope
This was the first time since Saturday I have seen the bird in good light, I closely studied it and after looking at Dave's and Gert's photos, in my opinion it is the original bird
The right side of the front upper neck is more extensively white than the left side and the right upper red is flecked white giving a slight orange appearance.
Front on the red white demarcation is 'jagged' and not clean as in the 2nd bird photos.
I therefore have not seen two birds.
:-CJohn
On the positive side this bird has been present for 6 days
open for debate.

Had a trawl through the net; in addition to the photos posted here there are a few extra shots of the two birds together on Birdguides but no photos of the single bird present Tuesday to Thursday. If anyone has taken one in this time period could you post it (or a link to it) on this thread to assist in the debate.

Cheers Phil

Last edited:
RE Red necked Phalarope 2nd June 2011
I think yesterday's bird (2nd June) is the same as the first bird.

I have enclosed my coloured up field notes to emphasise the extent of red.
What do you think of it being the same bird as 28th and 29th May.

also refer to the posts of the same dates
#5286 #5288
and the two birds #5334 31st May

another feature not depicted were the extensively dark flanks.

over to you for debate
one thing I will add is the complete transformation of the bird from seeing it in the morning when the light was poor (almost giving a silhouette,) to the evening when the bird showed its true finery.

Attachments

• red necked phal 2nd june.jpg
    red necked phal 2nd june.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Had a trawl through the net; in addition to the photos posted here there are a few extra shots of the two birds together on Birdguides but no photos of the single bird present Tuesday to Thursday. If anyone has taken one in this time period could you post it (or a link to it) on this thread to assist in the debate.

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

Here are 3 pictures I took on Wednesday morning at the Flashes which are heavily cropped and taken into the sun! They may help, but pretty poor to be honest.. 0ne of these is attached

Cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/5793176926/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/5793176678/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/5793176488/in/photostream/

Attachments

• P1020440.jpg
    P1020440.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 76
I took the liberty to try and pull some more colour out of your picture Gert... hope that's OK?
Don't think it's helped much anyway to be honest...

Attachments

• RNP_processed.jpg
    RNP_processed.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 71
breeding water rail

After the harsh winter when we lost many regular breeding species (including all our CETTI'S WARBLERS), it is nice to report that not all our water rail's were lost.
There are at least 4 singing/calling birds on the reserve and these 2 photos from SIMON PULLEN confirm breeding at the Moors.

I cannot remember where but a recent article stated that the UK population was around 1000 pairs...can some one enlighten me:t:

Thanks Simon for the use of the Photos.

Attachments

• Rail Chick 1 - 31 May 2011.jpg
    Rail Chick 1 - 31 May 2011.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Rail Chick 2- 23 May 2011.jpg
    Rail Chick 2- 23 May 2011.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 59
The only thing I have to add from last night was the very recently fledged Reed Bunting on and around the feeding station at the Moors.

UK Water Rail Population

After the harsh winter when we lost many regular breeding species (including all our CETTI'S WARBLERS), it is nice to report that not all our water rail's were lost.
There are at least 4 singing/calling birds on the reserve and these 2 photos from SIMON PULLEN confirm breeding at the Moors.

I cannot remember where but a recent article stated that the UK population was around 1000 pairs...can some one enlighten me:t:

Thanks Simon for the use of the Photos.

BTO current estimate 675 pairs in the UK. This makes it a scarce breeder in Britain, though it is currently green listed.

Birdlife International estimate (1988 - 1991) 700 - 1400 pairs in UK
European population (2004): >140,000 pairs, secure.
Global status category: Least Concern

No sightings today of the Red Necked Phalarope all quiet on the Flashes most avocets seemed to be sleeping in the sunshine. But a great morning with plenty of bird song and insects buzzing around
John nice drawing of the Phalarope in your note pad:t:

No sightings today of the Red Necked Phalarope all quiet on the Flashes most avocets seemed to be sleeping in the sunshine. But a great morning with plenty of bird song and insects buzzing around
John nice drawing of the Phalarope in your note pad:t:

Would echo that. Counted 15 Avo chicks but lots of loafing so one could have been hiding. Whitethroat and Skylark. Most exciting this afternoon was a LBB gull swallowing a dead mouse/vole and Alistair Cook nearing a century..B :)

Last edited:
BTO current estimate 675 pairs in the UK. This makes it a scarce breeder in Britain, though it is currently green listed.

Birdlife International estimate (1988 - 1991) 700 - 1400 pairs in UK
European population (2004): >140,000 pairs, secure.
Global status category: Least Concern

The most recently available Rare Breeding Birds Panel, reproduced in British Birds in 2010, stated that Water Rails held 998 territories in 2007. This included 5 territories at 2 sites in Worcs.

My head hurts - not just from all the fresh gloss paint throughout my house but also lots of phalarope photos.

Although initially sceptical I am starting to agree with John that the original (darker flanked) bird was present for 6 days and the second (lighter flanked) bird was only present on Monday.

My head hurts - not just from all the fresh gloss paint throughout my house but also lots of phalarope photos.

Although initially sceptical I am starting to agree with John that the original (darker flanked) bird was present for 6 days and the second (lighter flanked) bird was only present on Monday.

Yep would agree with that having seen the birds all days bar one. And my head hurts due to one London Pride and two Bumblee Bee Ales so far. BTW saw Arthur today who said he was going to do some damage to a flaggon of cider this afternoon ! Fair playB :)

What a week! Phalarope last weekend and then 5 days of school work! Mind you did have a hobby twice from my bed as it hunted the swallows nesting at the farm.

Have a look at my blog if you will to see what my weekend brings! www.bikingbirder2010.blogspot.com

All in aid of the RSPB's Love Nature week. Aren't I glad that I'll be standing outside Sainsbury's in Warwick, not Bromsgrove.

Reading this forum one gets to understand why Upton is so special. It's not just the birds, it's the people. Everyone there is a character and a star. Chatty in the hides, noisy!? It's the noise of fabulous people who are thrilled to see the fabulous birds at this fabulous place in the company of fabulous people.

Get the picture!

Speaking of pictures, thanks Gert for those you've posted and for the one on facebook.

Thanks everyone,

Gary

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back