• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Santorini, Greece (2 weeks early June) (1 Viewer)

NAB

Worst place I’ve ever been for birds (chosen by wife as non-birding holiday), I knew it was going to be hard, as it’s a volcanic island with few trees and no free standing water:

• Yellow-legged Gull
• Shag
• Common Kestrel (couple of birds encountered)
• Common/Long-legged Buzzard (seen a couple of times, but no bin’s with me).
• Collard Dove (drinking at hotel pool).
• Swallow (1 only)
• Alpine Swift (1 only)
• Common Swift (occasional along costal cliffs at Fira).
• Great Reed Warbler (Singing in a small over grown garden in the middle of Fira, tried to convince myself it was Olive Tree Warbler, but eventually saw in flight twice; a quite bizarre record and in mid June!)
• House Sparrow (only common bird and drinking at hotel swimming pool).
• Italian Sparrow (occasional males drinking at hotel pool).

Last edited:
Worst place I’ve ever been for birds (chosen by wife as non-birding holiday), I knew it was going to be hard, as it’s a volcanic island with few trees and no free standing water:

• Yellow-legged Gull
• Shag
• Common/Long-legged Buzzard (seem a couple of times, but no bin’s with me).
• Collard Dove (again drinking at hotel pool).
• Swallow (1 only)
• Alpine Swift (1 only)
• Great Reed Warbler (Singing in a small over grown garden in the middle of Fira, tried to convince myself it was Olive Tree Warbler, but eventually saw in flight twice; a quite bizarre record and in mid June!)
A thin gruel!
Could be a new thread- 'Worst places in the World to go birdwatching.'
Hope you had a nice holiday despite the birdwatching.

Got my revenge booked for next spring in Florida and including Fort Zachary Taylor and the Dry Tortugas, for an American Warbler fest hopefully!

• Yellow-legged Gull
• Shag
• Common/Long-legged Buzzard (seen a couple of times, but no bin’s with me).
• Collard Dove (drinking at hotel pool).
• Swallow (1 only)
• Alpine Swift (1 only)

Wow. I got more than twice that number when I went to the middle of the Sahara (Algeria)! Still, Santorini has got to be good to visit.

Actually I am sure I read on here a few years ago about someone who went to the Maldives and saw a Grey Heron, nothing else bird wise, just a Grey Heron.

David

I had a June/July fortnight in Elounda,Crete a few years back and saw three species if I recall correctly, last year 2 weeks in Sorrento and I barely hit double figures. Both places have great possibilities in the migration periods but in the heat of the summer they not that well populated, well by birds anyway. Crowds of people are a different matter!
I have just got back from Bulgaria and I'll write a trip report in due course. It wasn't brilliant but it wasn't too bad either. Finding somewhere to suit both a birder/photographer with a non birder other half is an ongoing challenge, I even started a thread a while back asking for suggestions and got some good replies and suggestions.
I guess it's equally important to know where to avoid if possible too.
I think Florida should suit you both!
Hope so anyway. cheers Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back