• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's in your digiscoping kit? (1 Viewer)

Hi Ken,

Instead of mounting my camera directly to the Jackar adapter, I use a Slik quick-release system (the DQ-20). I mount the DQ-20 to the Jackar, and the camera to the QR plate. In order to make this work, I had to make two small mods to the QR plate.

1. On a stock QR plate, my camera sat too far back from the eyepiece, causing vignetting. So, I removed the mounting screw in the QR plate and enlarged the mounting hole into a slot. This allowed the mounting screw to slide forward, moving the camera nearer the eyepiece. I used a table-mounted, woodworking router to make the slot. The only tricky piece was figuring out what I could mount the QR plate in so as to keep my fingers away from the router bit.

2. Once I had the slot, the stock mounting screw no longer worked, because the folding tabs on the stock screw were obstructed by the side of the QR plate itself in the forward-most position. So, I replaced it with a 1/4"-20 socket-headed screw at the local hardware store.

Hopefully the pictures clarify the description.

--dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have the Jackar and had been wondering about a similar set up.

Excellent.

Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back