• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls in Oman (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

Both these were taken in Muscat, Oman

thanks for any help given

Attachments

• 105A5278 day 11.jpg
    105A5278 day 11.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 105A5280 day 11.jpg
    105A5280 day 11.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 116
Can anyone help please?

To my eye image 2. with flat head, small dark eye and long bill, gives the impression of an adult Winter Caspian Gull, and as for image 1....I'm finding it difficult to reconcile, that's the best that I can offer. Think you'll need a real Laraphile to chip in.

Cheers

C'mon guys!....are there no Larus experts to give old Debs an answer, as the images are pretty good....?

Cheers

The 2nd image reminded me at first view of Armenian Gull (mantle tone, dark eye and bill band), though I am unsure of its status in Oman. However, the bill does seem quite long and attenuated (too long for Armenian and note the large gap between loral point and nostril), though I can see an image on the IBC of an 'Armenian Gull' in Oman that is comparable -

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/armeni...ll-observed-beach-inside-harbor-qurayyat-oman

The question is whether this is really Armenian Gull or mis-identified Steppe Gull...

Brian S

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back