• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chimney Swifts! (1 Viewer)

Chickadeedeedee

HOORAY! :t:​

The distinct chattering of Swift chicks is coming from the larger of our chimneys! We were afraid our chimney was abandoned this year because we haven't had any ~guests~ in the house (a good thing) and no sounds from the chimney.

In fact it was Kramer who alerted us of the Swifts by mimicing the chicks' chattering. :-O

Now we need to be on heightened alert for any birds who may drop in for a cuddle. :t:

I hope the chicks manage to stay up the chimney this year, Lydia.
Are they easy to put back or have they, by then, reached an age when they can be safely released?

So far we've only had either the adults or fledglings come for an up close and personal visit in the house. They seem to stay well put in their nests as chicks.

The chicks are soooooo loud, one can hear them when outside!

Those Swifts are no fools; they know which house to pick. With all the love and care that you show to your friends, who can blame them. Please keep us updated.

Baz.

Lucky you Lydia, haven't seen a swift in about 2 years. :C:

Must be here at the lake somewhere but not when I'm scouting for them.

Enjoy

Bob B :)

Hi Lydia,

Great news. Hope all goes well.

I know we are talking different species (and areas) here but apart from one sighting that I went for deliberately, I haven't seen a Swift at all this year.

Bill

I had about 20+ go over the house on Monday afternoon. they seemed to be heading away from the dark threatening clouds that produced thunder and lightning within minutes! Normally I get 4-5 screaming over the garden. Super birds, I will miss them when they go again.

I've had a few over an around me Bill, and there were a lot around Bempton last week, but generally numbers do seem well down.

Baz.

Hi Lydia,

Great news. Hope all goes well.

I know we are talking different species (and areas) here but apart from one sighting that I went for deliberately, I haven't seen a Swift at all this year.

Bill

Ahhh there you have it. Yet another reason why you should come for a visit.
;) Never mind the creepy crawlies, flying and biting insects, temperatures well below Absolute Zero or above 104F, the snow the hurricanes ....

Opened the flu and looked up the chimney this afternoon. One Swift nest with approx. four chicks or more. They were very cranky that we disturbed them. Will attempt a photograph too.

OMG! Based on the noise generated we thought for sure there were multiple nests!

Later today we'll look up the other chimney.

It's great having swifts in your house, I made some holes in our eaves and we have two pair nesting this year. I can hear the chicks chattering when I wake up in the morning as one nest is right above our bedroom window.

Hi Lydia

How did I miss this thread. Shame on me :eek!:

What a lovely story of the Swifts. They will be well looked after by you and yours. Kramer will be your look out too. o:)

Let us know how they progress over the coming months. They are soo sweet and very couragous little birds, with a life that is adventure packed. :gh:

Regards
Kathy

Hi Lydia,

You make it sound so tempting, can't think what's holding me back (chuckle).

Bill

Nor can I Bill!

Look who dropped in this morning to up the ante ... ;) ... and a cuddle.

She was actually *quite* cranky and chattered at me when I took her from the window above the washing machine. Perhaps she's wasn't so keen for a cuddle after all! :-O She's also the only Swift (so far) who was not docile and placid. She was busy and needed to go! She had a photo shoot, a quick cuddle and a kiss on the head and off she went through the back door.

The African Grey Parrot, Pepper, was introduced to the Swift briefly before release. The parrot watched her take flight and away ... She looked at me and asked, "What the heck?!?!?" LOL! :t:

Attachments

• swift.jpg
    swift.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 33
Hi Lydia

Now that is an interesting picture of a chimney Swift - the colour tells it all

My OH said the bird looks fierce in your picture, and a lot bigger than the Swifts that we see in the UK.

Kathy
x

I guess I could post these photos in Today's Visitors thread. :t:

This *handsome* gent was in the basement above the washing machine not 15 minutes ago. He was very cooperative and allowed me some photographs. Lookie how specialized those tail feathers are!

Poor guy. I picked him up and he closed his eyes ... no doubt thinking this was the end. He got a quick kiss on top of the head, a chin stroke or two and he perched on my finger. I opened the door ... he opened his eyes and must have stayed on my finger for a full minute! He couldn't believe he wasn't breakfast. He turned his little head and flew off to join his friends. :t:

Attachments

• swiftguest.jpg
    swiftguest.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 24
  • swiftguest3.jpg
    swiftguest3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 35
  • swiftguest2.jpg
    swiftguest2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 31
I can't believe he didn't try to fly away, Lydia, while you took those pics. His eyes are wide open in the last one, well the eye you can see anyway. Super photo's.

Hi Lydia,

So that's what they look like close-to. Do remember that the only one that I've seen was flying around over a valley in Cornwall and looked like 'a cigar with wings'.

I wonder whether it COULD have taken off unassisted from that surface?

Kathy, they are much smaller than our Common Swift (14cm long to 17cm long) but have long wings in relation to body length. The other identification is a very short blunt tail (hence the 'cigar'). Also they appear to fly rather more like a bat than a bird because of very rapid wing-beats.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back