• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaria tablets online? (1 Viewer)

Recommend. I've used them several times and delivery is very quick.

They used to be the best on price but if you have a local Asda store with a pharmacy, they're the cheapest at £1.50 a tablet for generic Malarone and they don't charge a prescription fee.

Gawd!!! I'd avoid buying any tablets on line! Who knows what they actually put in them.

Malaria is such a dangerous illness with long term effects, I wouldn't take the risk of buying a fake.

Dr Who?? Fox? Hmmmm..... what's his credentials?

Recommend. I've used them several times and delivery is very quick.

They used to be the best on price but if you have a local Asda store with a pharmacy, they're the cheapest at £1.50 a tablet for generic Malarone and they don't charge a prescription fee.

Thanks REV, £1.50 a tablet is still £58 for a 4 week trip compared to c£15 quoted on the Dr Fox site (Asda dont do doxycycline)

Gawd!!! I'd avoid buying any tablets on line! Who knows what they actually put in them.

Malaria is such a dangerous illness with long term effects, I wouldn't take the risk of buying a fake.

Dr Who?? Fox? Hmmmm..... what's his credentials?

I know what you mean but Dr Fox is a bona-fide company, not one of those who's emails end up in the junk folder! When travelling abroad the conversation invariably gets round to 'does Avon Skin So Soft really work?' and 'how much did you pay for your malaria tablets?.

I've been on several trips where I paid much more than others so I started buying on-line from Dr Fox before generic Malarone was available. Much cheaper than Boots for the same tablets.

Thanks REV, £1.50 a tablet is still £58 for a 4 week trip compared to c£15 quoted on the Dr Fox site (Asda dont do doxycycline)

My mistake they were £1.25 a tablet i.e. £20 for a week's trip. I think I bought doxycycline from Dr Fox when I went to India. Where are you off to?

I know what you mean but Dr Fox is a bona-fide company, not one of those who's emails end up in the junk folder! When travelling abroad the conversation invariably gets round to 'does Avon Skin So Soft really work?' and 'how much did you pay for your malaria tablets?.

I've been on several trips where I paid much more than others so I started buying on-line from Dr Fox before generic Malarone was available. Much cheaper than Boots for the same tablets.

My mistake they were £1.25 a tablet i.e. £20 for a week's trip. I think I bought doxycycline from Dr Fox when I went to India. Where are you off to?

Vietnam, so Mefloquin no use as there is resistance to it there. Anyway with your and anothers recommendation I have gone ahead and ordered the Doxcycycline.

Vietnam, so Mefloquin no use as there is resistance to it there. Anyway with your and anothers recommendation I have gone ahead and ordered the Doxcycycline.

Vietnam - somewhere I'd like to go. My son went last year with 2 friends, one of whom has relatives there. They were treated like royalty.

Good luck with your order and have a great trip!

I used travelpharm.com last year for Goa. They seemed OK. I'm still alive. Mind, I was there in January at the start of the dry season and I didn't get bitten, which might have helped. I think they were 99p per tab.

I've just paid almost £60 for malarone (!). Mind you, I was lazy, and just accepted the docs prescription, rather than faffing around on the internet to see if I could save money. Paying for the convenience I suppose. Off to Kruger, and although the risk is low, 'tis still malaria season, so I figure around £6 per day is worth it.

If I am going outside Europe, there are two things I don't skimp on, one is decent travel insurance, and the other is malaria tablets (if required).

Last edited:
Helen, I was in Kruger during the M season a couple of years ago but after a few days, stopped taking tablets as there were simply no mozzies about. I seemed to have gotten away with it and kept the tabs for another time...

I've just paid almost £60 for malarone (!). Mind you, I was lazy, and just accepted the docs prescription, rather than faffing around on the internet to see if I could save money. Paying for the convenience I suppose. Off to Kruger, and although the risk is low, 'tis still malaria season, so I figure around £6 per day is worth it.

If I am going outside Europe, there are two things I don't skimp on, one is decent travel insurance, and the other is malaria tablets (if required).

Malarone is the most expensive of that generic type, most people take the much cheaper Proguanil.

I personally would never buy it online however cheap unless you have absolute confidence in the site you're buying from. It wouldn't neccessarily harm you but a fake may not have sufficient active ingredient to be properly effective?

A

Indeed Andy, hence my buying direct from my docs surgery. The reason I chose this, is for the side effects, or lack of. Sure I could have paid the minimum for another drug, but just don't fancy the potential side effects ruining a holiday!

What I have done however, is purchase an extra 3 tablets, and have taken them here at home, to see how my body reacts to it. Fingers crossed, no problems thus far, so I'm happy.

Helen, I was in Kruger during the M season a couple of years ago but after a few days, stopped taking tablets as there were simply no mozzies about. I seemed to have gotten away with it and kept the tabs for another time...

Unfortunately, Sods law tends to follow me around!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back