• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Japanese Made Bargains (1 Viewer)

Upland

I’ve had very good luck with binoculars that were made in Japan and have found some great deals as well. Since so much production is being switched to China I thought it would be good to see what other members have found for Japanese manufactured binoculars. Please note this is NOT a Japanese vs Chinese quality thread! If someone wants to discuss that please create a seperate topic and do not hijack this thread. Thanks

I’ll start by saying I bought a pair of Cabela’s Guide Series 8x32s for less than $100 and am extremely happy with both the build quality and optics for the price. I also bought a pair of Leupold Pro Guide 8x42s (previous version from current production) for $279 on closeout. Another great deal. Please let us know if there are other great bargains out there. Thanks

PS PLEASE remember this post had nothing to do with Japan versus China quality!

Zeiss Terra 8x25 (the 8x25 model only)

I like Japanese made bins too, as they always come out of the factory with perfect collimation, something that Chinese made bins really suffer from.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a pair of Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25, which are made in Japan (the previous 8x20 model was made in Hungary). No complaints.

To state the obvious I've had very good luck with Nikon binoculars that were made in Japan and were on sale like my 8x32 LXL and 10x32 LXL and the new 10x42 SE that I purchased on sale from Keh Camera in Atlanta, Ga. I also picked up a refurbished 10x35 EII from High Point Optics for half the price of a new one over 10 years ago which I still use.

Bob

Last edited:
Stating the “obvious” as Ceasar said:

In two places, you say not to compare Japanese-made vs Chinese-made binoculars. However, your first two sentences seem to indicate the opposite. What am I missing? I certainly know that in today’s society political correctness often replaces verbiage based on sound judgment. Could you clarify your aim?

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
In two places, you say not to compare Japanese-made vs Chinese-made binoculars. However, your first two sentences seem to indicate the opposite. What am I missing? Could you clarify your aim?

Bill

It seems pretty clear that the OP wants to hear about our experiences of Japanese made binos and not to get bogged down in a Japan-vs-China digression.

I would like to cast a vote for Kowa's Genesis 8x33 which is just terrific.

Lee

Hi Upland,

If by 'bargains' you mean great value for money, then the entire Canon IS lineup is not too shabby either. I have never had a problem with any focusers, collimation nor the electronics with any of mine in over ten years. I still have and use a pair of Celestron/Vixen Deluxe 14x80's from March 1990 that have performed flawlessly.

Doug.....

Last edited:
And labeling something as "politically correct" is often employed as a means of silencing legitimate grievances (not that you're doing that, Bill).

Stating the “obvious” as Ceasar said:

I certainly know that in today’s society political correctness often replaces verbiage based on sound judgment.

Cheers,

Bill

Leupold Hawthorne

My Leupold Hawthorne 7x42s are pretty sweet, and at around $250 were a bargain. Unfortunately they are no longer made. It looks like the BX-4 series are still made in Japan. Don't know about others.

My Leupold Hawthorne 7x42s are pretty sweet, and at around $250 were a bargain. Unfortunately they are no longer made. It looks like the BX-4 series are still made in Japan. Don't know about others.

That reminds me that my discontinued Leupold BX-2 7x42 Cascades which were made in Japan were both an excellent binocular and an excellent buy for $229.99 at Eagle Optics back in 2011.

Bob

And labeling something as "politically correct" is often employed as a means of silencing legitimate grievances (not that you're doing that, Bill).

Hi, Paul, you ole Wasatchian:

Many could write books on the lives lost or ruined because of seeking to appease the gods of the ever-shifting values of political correctness. But, as Winnie said: “However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.”

It’s the “results” that matter, be they realistic and helpful or “pie in the sky” chunks of the academic. :cat:

... And to all a good night.

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back