• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I know it's not like me to seek advices on lens choice (1 Viewer)

Cartman

:t: but anyway here I go again. I have read a lot of good and bad things about the Canon 50mm f1.8 and at £70 it's very cheap.

I have also read that the f1.4 version is a lot better in terms of picture and build quality but it's obvioulsy a bit more pricey at around £260.

There is also the Sigma EX 50mm 1.4 to consider at £287 (all Onestop digital prices)

Anyone got either of the 1.4 lenses who could pass on their opinions?

Still haven't bought a wide angle lens by the way, think I am gonna stick with my Canon 17-85 for now

save your money!

I have the canon 50mm f1.4, have had for it over 10 years, and it is a gem. However, it is not three to four times as good as the canon 50mm f1.8, which is an absolute steal. Still, if money no object, get the faster one. Quick to focus, an excellent portrait lens on the APS-C sensor, brilliant at indoor bashes, small, light, great picture quality, esp when stopped down but more than acceptable wide open.
Cheers
Jonathan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back