• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Streptopelia ? (1 Viewer)

azafzaf

Dear Friends,

Please let me introduce myself: my name is Hichem AZAFZAF and I am working since many years as a volunteer field ornithologist for Association « Les Amis des Oiseaux » (AAO) and more specifically within its scientific branch Groupe Tunisien d’Ornithologie (GTO), for which I am the coordinator. AAO is the only bird conservation NGO and the BirdLife Partner Designated in Tunisia.

Between the 22nd and 25th August I visited the Kerkennah Archipelago, one of the biggest islands of Tunisia and one of the 46 IBAs (Important Bird Areas) of the country. Kerkennah is laying in the Mediterranean Sea, between the Gulf of Hammamet in the North and the Gulf of Gabes in the South, about 20 km east of the town of Sfax.

The 23rd between 10:00 and 11:00 am I saw, together with another Tunisian ornithologist, several individuals of Streptopelia turtur at the beach between El Attaia et El Abassia on the south-eastern side of the main island. The species is well known in Tunisia and observed very frequently. Some hundred meters away from the first observation point and also on the beach we saw another bird, only that this one did not really show the same identification criteria (photos 3).

The photos you will find attached to this message were made with a Fuji 200 ASA.

I am requesting for help to identify the bird of photos 2 and 3.

If you need any further information please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thank you in advance for your kind collaboration.

I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Hichem AZAFZAF
G.T.O and I.B.A Coordinator
11 Rue Abou el alla el maari
2080 Ariana,Tunis -TUNISIE
Tel/Fax:+216 71701664
Mobile :+216 98207238
E-mail : [email protected]

:bounce:

Attachments

• azafzaf - photos 3.jpg
    azafzaf - photos 3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 506
Hello Hichem,

I can only see one bird on that attachment and it sure looks like a Turtle Dove, but I'm a total novice at species from out your way and it could be something similar.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back