• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wales - Bird call id (1 Viewer)

Scratch

We live next to a small patch of woodland, loads of Blackbird,tits,GSW, few goldcrest.

There's something in a small thicket making a strange noise and I'm struggling to get a photo of what ever it is, it's making a rhythmic clicking noise almost like a playing card in a bike spoke and then every so often making a squeeky dog toy noise, erm any ideas?

rhythmic clicking noise almost like a playing card in a bike spoke

Wren alarm call. I can't explain the squeak though although a very high pitched 'wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet' that sounds like it's being made during an inhalation would also indicate a Wren.

Thanks for the info, I heard it last night around dusk then again tonight, I'll try to get some pics tomorrow, the thickets halfway down a steep bank though so a little hard to reach.

It's not something I've heard generally at other parts of the day, although listening to all the sugestions above on the RSPB site nothing sounds familier.

There's something in a small thicket making a strange noise and I'm struggling to get a photo of what ever it is, it's making a rhythmic clicking noise almost like a playing card in a bike spoke and then every so often making a squeeky dog toy noise, erm any ideas?

I agree it's likely to be a Robin or Wren. However, it's certainly alarming and most likely in response to your close proximity and attempts to get a photo. Most birds will now be nesting and on eggs. This time of year, it's best to keep well away from clicking bushes! It doesn't take more than a few minutes for birds to be flushed off the nest (by inquisitive humans!) and their eggs predated by crows or Magpies.

Thanks, I'll go with Wren / Robin alarm call for now,

I heard the noise both times from the Kitchen window, there's a cat usually around the area so I'm thinking it could have been that setting the bird off.

Thanks for the info!

update, just started again tonight, seems to be trying to scare off a magpie,
got a glimpse of the bird making the noise, looked like a tree sparrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back