• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mystery bird (1 Viewer)

lutz6lucker

..another mystery digiscoped on Helgoland island/FRG on Oct. 17th! Unusual Visitor from Scandeinavia.

Attachments

• dscn2586#001.jpg
    dscn2586#001.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 499
Hi Lutz,
I shall also refrain from identifying the bird,but I know what it is!Nice birds,have seen 2 of them here in Ireland.....
Harry

well I haven't got a the faintest idea!(if that helps:))

I'll have to have a mooch at my book.

Dylan.

I'm certain I know this bird. I tried to find some in the Cairngorms in Scotland this spring but failed. There were one or two DOTTED around the midlands but I didn't connect with them either. In fact I have only ever seen 4 of them over the years. Am I right, I will have to find out!!

Regards
John J

"easy" mysteries

Dear Birding Friends!
Sorry for submitting such an easy "mystery" bird¨! Of COURSE it was a Eurasian Dotterel!
I hope I did not hurt anybody's pride by asking such an obvious question. Too easy indeed!
However, I do think that identification of animal species CAN be extremely tricky and canNOT be learnt within just a few years. One of the best ways to acquire such skills is by playing "games", such as the mystery bird game.
I can understand that (quite) a few experts might sneer at "easy" problems, but what about numerous "newbies" who do not dare to voice their guesses or who get it wrong? I think we have to encourage those people to go on and try hard, ALSO by proposing seemingly "easy" photographs!
What is actually a difficult mystery bird photo? An out-of-focus, smallish pic? Should it be a pipit or a female wheatear? A leaf or acrocephalus warbler? The ones I submitted may be easy for British or Scandinavian birders, but things might have been VERY different for people in the U.S. (outside Alaska) and many other countries!
So what? Stop the game or go on?! Promise: next time I'll think twice before sending you another "easybird"!
Cheers
Lutz

mystery birds

LUTZ,
PLEASE DONT STOP posting your mystery birds, I and many others look at your pics, regardless if they are easy or not, And ANY pic you post for ID, is good. Thank you for making this forum interesting. CARRY ON :t:

If anyone else wants to post a brain teaser go ahead.

steve

Yeah, hum bug to Chris.....

Its just good fun, dont let the nasty people get in the way;)

Keep posting and we will keep guessing !!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back