• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

General Gambia info (1 Viewer)

Hello Ken,
My wife and I are considering a birding trip to Gambia and have never been before. I can see that you are very experienced and would appreciate any guidance you can give. I am a keen Photographer so my initial problem is getting my large lenses into the hand luggage, I managed this on a trip to South Africa but its always a bit of a worry as I would not want to put them into the hold. If you could give me some advice on hotels, guides and where to go I would be most grateful.

Regards

David
Any of the hotels in Gambia Experience will be good - depending on your needs. We stay at Cape Point Hotel which is good for us as we only use it as a base. All the hotel sites will have guides around, but contact one of the many recommended. We now use Almamy Darboe ([email protected]) after being fleeced by another Capepoint guide - Famara Njie - other birders please note!!! All the usual coastal sites are worth visiting. A more recent development is that a a lot of these sites now have onsite guides who have up to date knowledge of where to find stuff. Your guide will use these lads to find the owls, nightjars, flufftails etc, at each site. Establish that your guide will pay for their services and entrance fee tickets at D50 a person.

We were at Kartong on Friday. Didn't have enough time to do it justice but plenty of wildfowl,herons etc. Spur-winged geese plentiful amongst the abundant whistling ducks ,plus a few knob-billed duck. Will be interested to hear about all the stuff we missed !
Regards, Bill.
Yes pretty much what we found, although we also saw 5 African pygmy geese there which we had only found upcountry before. All the way up to Basse and still no Egyptian plover!

Cape Point Bird Guides

These guys are located on the beach near Calpyso Beachbar. We were grossly overcharged by FAMARA NJIE - senior birder there - he says - on a 4day trip upcountry, after using him for 4 years!! Poorly and cheaply organised, despite promises to the contrary, and he even came up short with the driver!!! Almamy Darboe is the guide we now use there. Very knowledgeable and geniune( fingers crossed)

UPCOUNTRY - Went as far as Basse but nothing special - The Egyptian plovers appeared to have moved on - again - we need to go earlier me thinks! Still no joy with Pels fishing owl at Tendaba. Good sightings of Finfoot, along with hippos, baboons, and crocs, in Gambia River National Park.The Baobolong Camp at Georgetown - the annexe - was very good.

Hello Ken,
My wife and I are considering a birding trip to Gambia and have never been before. I can see that you are very experienced and would appreciate any guidance you can give. I am a keen Photographer so my initial problem is getting my large lenses into the hand luggage, I managed this on a trip to South Africa but its always a bit of a worry as I would not want to put them into the hold. If you could give me some advice on hotels, guides and where to go I would be most grateful.

Regards

David
Its a while since we went but I managed to do my birding without a guide.
I was put off using them when I met an American being taken round Abuko.It took a while to find some of the birds so hanging around was a good idea.
The birdwatcher was given a whistle stop tour of Abuko before being whisked off elswere-thus missing some great birds[and a crocodile].I asked him if he had been to Tanji.He said he wanted to go but his guide had other ideas-so,no, he was going to have to miss Tanji!
I bumped into another pair of birdwatchers being dragged around Brufut Woods.The guide was simply setting his scope on a bird - they had a look and ticked off another species.Not very challenging and they looked bored out of their skulls to be honest.

The birds and locations are so accessible you can see a lot of species with the help of the usual Helm Guide to the Birds of Gambia[and Senegal].
We stayed at the Sheraton in Brufut, which is called something else now.
It is located right next to the Tanji Lagoons and Tanji Forest as well as Brufut Woods.
Not sure what the hotel is like now but then it was so good we have yet to stay at a better hotel anywhere.It was wonderful!
It is so far off the tourist strip the hassle brigade didn't venture that far-so it was a bother-free holiday.
The hotel grounds themselves were like a nature reserve-full of a great variety of species, so you could wander around the gardens and surrounding scrub to take your photos.I think I ticked off 50 species in the hotel environs-most lifers.
Apart from the above I spent my time at Abuko,Bijilo,the beach from the Sheraton to Tanji lagoons and Paradise beach.
The latter isn't on the well trodden path of birdwatchers and I am not sure why.
Apart from the beach, there are a wide variety of habitats along the edge of the beach and a bird-rich lagoon near the fishing centre.
For some unknown reason the hassle merchants avoided Paradise Beach too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back