• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins bird guide app (1 Viewer)

The Collins is far better imo, far more species and covers the whole of Europe, whereas the BirdGuides app only covers Northern Europe

Edit: ooooh, now I got it. I thought you were talking about comparing the collins app to the collins book for a second. Never mind my text further down... I've also got the Birds of Northern Europe app, it's far worse, the only thing that was better were the quite detailed descriptive texts, that now somehow got cut on many species.

The app covers over 700 species. I think that's about the same amount as covered by the book.
The illustrations are equally good, the added detail to the maps and the possibility to play the bird calls is fantastic.
IMO, the book is only better if you don't own an iPad and if you are someone who absolutely needs the haptic feeling of a book.

Edit: @JohnFleet:
Touch the search bar, enter e.g. "stilt sand" then touch the golden "Text search for "stilt sand"". A rounded rectangle appears directly below the search bar, so you can see that the text search is active. You just have to get rid of the keyboard, so press the blue "ready" in the low right corner.
You should now get to the search results, as there is only the Stilt Sandpiper as a possible result, you get that species as the only result. Touch the little pictures of the sandpiper or use the slider on the bottom for a detailed description. Voila.

Last edited:
There's also a toggle annotations on/off feature on the plates - tap once and the annotations toggle.

On my iPhone 4s the rotate feature seems a bit flakey - and I still remain baffled by the search feature! if anyone can give a step by step description of how to find a target species by name using the search facility I'd be very grateful. I'm trying to study the Stilt Sandpiper which was so obliging at Cresswell and Druridge recently. I've stumble upon it once but can't work out a consistent way to find a species!

Type Stilt Sandpiper in the search box, then touch under the search box where it says "Text search for Stilt Sandpiper", click the blue Done button on the keyboard and voila there is Stilt Sandpiper
This is for the iPhone, on the iPad just type the species and touch search on the keyboard

Hi
Can you please check Pallas's warbler on both iPhone & iPad?
How do the colours compare?
I've an iPhone 5 & a 2nd gen iPad. The iPad colours are pretty poor (grey/brown instead of green)
The developers say it's because of different screen makers choosing different colour palettes!
Cheers
Jerry

Hi
Can you please check Pallas's warbler on both iPhone & iPad?
How do the colours compare?
I've an iPhone 5 & a 2nd gen iPad. The iPad colours are pretty poor (grey/brown instead of green)
The developers say it's because of different screen makers choosing different colour palettes!
Cheers
Jerry

Hi Jerry!

I think you mean Pallas's Leaf Warbler (not the Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler), right?
Both my iPad (3rd Gen) and my iPhone 5 show a greenish color! As I have not yet seen that bird, I can only guess that the colors on my devices are somewhat accurate. On my wifes iPad (2nd gen) and her iPhone 5 it's not different.
Regards,
Martin

Martin,
>> I think you mean Pallas's Leaf Warbler (not the Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler), right?
Yes, thanks

>>On my wifes iPad (2nd gen) and her iPhone 5 it's not different.
How odd. On my 2nd gen ipad the colours are aweful

Thanks very much. I've posted this query several places without a reply (until now) so an extra thanks, thanks ;)
Tschüß
Jerry

Last edited:
Does any other problems with videos after downloading a new version?

I'm in a similar(?) situation.......

I downloaded the Collins app, including the BTO maps and both additional videos, onto my iPad 3 almost as soon as I got home from the Birdfair. I was so impressed with the app that I decided it would a useful addition to my iPhone 5c for use in the field. Sadly, I have not been able to download the videos onto my iPhone, a matter I have raised with Touch Press. They have replied that they're looking into the problem and ask that I be patient while they resolve the issue. I await their solution...........

MS

What memory does your iPhone 5c have free? The app itself is pretty big and the videos take up memory on top of that. Some iPhone 5c models have only 8MB to start with.

On my iPhone 4s the Bird Guide with the BTO maps takes up 734 MB.

I really like the app. Up till the Collins was launched, I've been using iBird , which I thought was good (although Britain only). The Collins is better and covers Europe.

A useful addition would be an "auto text fill" function when typing in birds names in the search. I'm forever making typos on the key pad of the iPhone and it requires the full name to be typed correctly. The colour issue may be interesting once it gets on to android, as the wider variety of phone screens on this system have varying degrees of colour temperatures. To me, Samsung screens always seem to have quite a greenish hue compared to iPhones.

Last edited:
What memory does your iPhone 5c have free? The app itself is pretty big and the videos take up memory on top of that. Some iPhone 5c models have only 8MB to start with.

On my iPhone 4s the Bird Guide with the BTO maps takes up 734 MB.

Yes, I have the 8GB iPhone 5c but having kept the usage down, my Control Centre says that I have 2.6GB available. This sufficient for downloading the in-app videos which total 1.5GB together

As I mentioned previously, I have referred the problem to Touch Press but can anyone pre-empt their solution to the problem?

I was at the launch at Birdfair. I seem to remember that someone mentioned the need to have extra memory to cope with the download. Would seem to me, though, that you have enough free.

After a few weeks using the Collins on my iphone, I've just deleted my previous favourite app iBird...

My favourite field guide in my pocket at all times and with the added ability to search, compare and hear calls and song. Just loving the Collins app.

I have seen the posts here and the reviews linked. How does an ipad mini function relative to the iphone/ipad distinction?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back