• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

windows 10 (1 Viewer)

john-henry

Just had Microsoft updates for Windows 7 and its' left an offer of a free upgrade to Windows 10, anyone heard anything about it, think it's worth upgrading, or stay with the devil you know?

Most of the people using the Technical Preview of W10 since late 2014 say mainly good things about it. It seems to fit in with M'soft's usual pattern of one good operating system alternating with a poor one. Example XP, Vista, W7, W8(+8.1), W10. I will update from W7 but after a few months so that any bugs found after release on 29 July will be ironed out.

Dave

Microsoft is giving a free update to Windows 10 for all Windows 7 and 8 users. All the folk I know who have used the beta if Windows 10 say it is much more usable on a desktop than Windows 8 was and has much better security than 7. The free update will be available for a year and you can roll back to what you had before if you don't like it. There is a update checker that will check if the drivers for your various computing bits are available in a Windows 10 version.

My tip would be, do the checker to see if the drivers are even available then hold off until you can have a go on an actual Windows 10 machine in a shop or a mates. If you don't dislike it too much then I would install.

As a Windows 7 user who wasn't a great fan of what 8 and 9 brought to the table I can't say I have immediate high hopes for 10, but we'll see.

I have goten used to 7. I am reluctant to go to 10.

Slightly different: I still like MS office 2003, and think it has been downhill since, including the 2013 that just has been put on my office PC, and the 365 that runs my web mail access.

Niels

I can't be bothered to go to 10 from 8. Got birders club to manage, birds to watch etc.

I've seen previews and did not look at it much. start is back or something I think.

Last edited:
Most of what I'm seeing is blurb and fanboi comments, many are from W10 users who are still using it in a virtual machine; can't afford to buy any new DX12 games when they come out, 'better' security remains to be seen/tested, rapid fire rolling out of updates is questionable.

Then there's the privacy aspect; MS had recently been touting their adware/bloatware free computers, http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/categoryID.69916600, I can't see them making the grade to W10 as it'll already be full of ads.

I won't be (as an 'Insider'!) trying it out for a while...

I have a brand new (6 weeks old) computer that came with Windows 7. I have already had to do a total Windows factory reset on windows because, it seems, an update broke stuff. After my system reinstall Windows started the update thing again and I have stopped allowing updates at this point when it reached the point where an update screwed up the system. The first symptom before all hell broke loose the first time was that the updates did not automatically install on shut down and the update icon did not appear as it was supposed to so I did the update from Windows Update.

Right now i am at the point again where updates don't install on shutdown even though all the settings are such that it should. So while otherwise my Windows 7 is performing correctly, Windows Update is semi-busted. It's collecting updates to install but doesn't put the icon on the shut down button and I'm extremely reluctant to install them from Windows Update for rear that all hell will break loose again.

So now Windows 10 is on the verge of release. But I have a Nvidia graphics card and news is that Windows 10 installs a faulty driver making the graphics card faulty.

So what to do?

Hi crazyfingers, I would encourage you to go to the Bleeping Computer website, register and then post your problem in the Windows 7 forum.

Dave

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

I spent a week trying to fix the issue the first time. I had used all the fixes that were offered and only a system restore "solved" the problem until updates started to fly in again. Then I spent another couple days trying to get the shut down button to install and none of the fixes that I found on MS site and others worked.

If this problem persists after my vacation I will likely do that. As it is I will be leaving Saturday morning and will not have internet for a week. On Oct 10 if I let the updates install and the computer misbehaves I will likely post on the forum.

My NVidia driver is updating just now with the intent of being compatible with Win10 - even though I am not expecting to update for another few weeks.

Niels

My NVidia driver is updating just now with the intent of being compatible with Win10 - even though I am not expecting to update for another few weeks.

Niels

So did mine.

Windows 10 actually downloaded over 6Gb of files today. It's not complete and I don't intend to let it install at least until after I get home from vacation to Maine, USA, on August 10.

I have no problems with Windows 10 (updated from Windows 7) with the exception that I cannot registrate my Norton Ghost image software anymore.

Downloaded and installed over my Windows 8.1 with no issues. Just logged on and carried on working. Doesn't look or feel much different. Time will tell.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back