• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turning off noise reduction on canon 50d to take star pictures (1 Viewer)

Ddack

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to take a few pics of the stars and star trails and have been advised to turn my noise reduction off so my pictures come out sharper, I only have the 18-55mm lens, but I can't find on my camera settings to do this! Any help on settings would be greatly appreciated as my results are pretty poor.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Hi,
Noise reduction for long exposures is covered on p176 of your 50D manual. It's under Custom Functions C.Fn II-1, and there's 3 settings. Off, Auto and On. There's another setting for High ISO noise reduction, CFn II-2.

How are you guiding your camera?

Best of luck - I gave up as the light pollution here is bad, and even going to a "dark site" about 10 miles away only dropped the pollution by about a factor of 2. It's even worse now, as many street lights are now "white" and their light can't be filtered out as it used to be when they were of an amber colour. I did find a really dark site in the Peak District, but it's a long way from Milton Keynes!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back