• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Mexico (1 Viewer)

jwreeves

I am starting to consider an independent 8-night trip here for early next year, mainly for tufted jay. Haven't looked into it in great detail yet, and certainly won't be booking anything for several months, but was wondering if anyone could help me with some initial queries before I start preparing it more?

A possible itinerary could be (from Mazatlan), 3 nights tufted jay preserve area, 1 Mazatlan, 3 Tepic/Puerto Vallarta way, 1 Mazatlan

Are there any real safety issues in these areas? Heard bad things, especially about the Durango highway, but are these still relevant and if so do they apply to areas I'm likely to be birding? Any particular sites to avoid? Have only skimmed through Howell & Webb and ebird so far so don't know names of most sites yet!

Tufted Jay preserve - Are there any access restrictions? Or lodging problems(lack of / limited and over priced)?

I have Howell's 'A bird finding guide to mexico', are there any significant changes to any of the sites in chapters 5 & 6?

Thanks in advance,

John

Been looking into this further and there are still some things I am struggling to find on the net, so hoping people on here may be able to help? Has anyone been or has looked into going recently?

I see there are cabins at the tufted jay preserve, but have yet to find somewhere that gives a price or how to book?

Staying at rancho la noria in sierra de san juan, again price and how to book. Would like to stay a night to give myself a better chance with cinereous owl if possible

Other sites that look good to visit are the panuco road and puente baluarte off the durango highway, san blas(boat trip mainly for mangrove species), tecuitata and parque ecological de tepic.
Are there any security issues at these sites? Durango highway sites in particular? Have read that it is not as bad as some press makes out, but also heard that about a site in Chiapas that I nearly visited last year that is very much still unsafe for birders!
Also do any of the above sites require special arrangements to visit? Pre-arranged permits / closed days etc...
And would a high clearance vehicle be required?

Hoping that this won't be my main trip for next year, and it will most likely be done solo, so would like to see if I can afford it before I commit!

Cheers,
John

I am tentatively planning a trip to that area early next year also. In addition to the Tufted Jay, there is also the San Blas Jay and the Bumblebee Hummingbird and many other great birds in the area. Some birders were kidnapped while on a boat trip there this year. The situation is fluid so I think it is too far in advance to make definite plans. I know a birder who lives in the area and I get updates on the situation often. I will fly into Puerto Vallarta, go north to San Blas and then decide to go further north to the Tufted Jay reserve if it is safe. Will decide when I have current up-to-date information at the time.

thankyou for your reply! I hope they were released unharmed. Was that by the boatman? Any further updates on the safety information, either on here or PM would be gratefully received.

That incident was earlier this year. They all got away unharmed. All has been quiet since then. Two Australian guys will killed north of Mazatlán in Sinaloa a couple of years ago. They were driving at night which is not a good idea in that area. I will monitor the situation and if all is calm, will go in January or Feb. Are you interested in meeting up? I know a guide who lives in the area. I will be starting from Puerto Vallarta and go north from there. Do you need to go to Mazatlán? I won't go any further north than necessary to see the San Blas Jay and the Tufted Jay and hopefully the Bumblebee Hummingbird.

That's worrying to hear about the Australians! But good to hear the San Blas kidnapping didn't end that way, although I'm not sure I would risk a boat trip by myself without a recommendation to a reliable boatman! If I decide to go ahead with the trip I too will be going Jan/Feb, however I will be flying into Mazatlan as I would like to get the tufted jay out of the way first! And would like to have a chance of the quetzal, red warbler and some other species that seem to be more frequent in that area too. Currently not too fussed about having a guide as have birded Arizona and Chiapas in the last few years and adds extra cost to the trip! If we both go, and our itineraries cross, I would be very happy to meet up for a days birding though! There a few things I would like to weigh up before deciding whether to go however, not least personal safety, but also where and when I shall be taking my main holiday next year! I will PM you when I decide, which will probably be June/July time

Cheers,
John

I saw the Red Warbler and the Yellow-eyed Junco at the Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary. Amazing place if you go in mid Feb when the butterflies are starting to fly after sitting still all winter. It is in Michoacán, between Puerto Vallarta and Mexico City. Getting a guide is a good idea, not only for finding birds but for safety. Someone who knows which places to avoid. Prices around this area are not high, like most guides around the world.

Attachments

• Butterflies 11s.jpg
    Butterflies 11s.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 49
I would echo what MJ says about using a guide being useful to help with safety. We toured Guerrero and Chiapas, both with potentially risky areas, last year with a guide who knew all the potential problems and it helped a lot.

Steve

We are putting together a tour near Puerto Vallarta (El Tuito and Yelapa), especially focused on breeding grounds and habits of Military Macaws and hoping to see some wintering warblers. Our guides are researchers very familiar with the area and the area is quite safe compared to Sinaloa.

We are putting together a tour near Puerto Vallarta (El Tuito and Yelapa), especially focused on breeding grounds and habits of Military Macaws and hoping to see some wintering warblers. Our guides are researchers very familiar with the area and the area is quite safe compared to Sinaloa.

When?

Ah. I'd recommend contacting United for the Macaws if you'd like to see the macaw nesting areas (if they are still nesting then) and check out Rancho Primavera in El Tuito for a great site to see a lot of birds. They welcome day visitors if you check in with them and they have lots of plantings and feeders to attract birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back