• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular repairer in the UK. (1 Viewer)

Cluster

After feeling smug for so long about my cherry of a Zen-Ray ED2 7x36, I discovered that the dioptre setting will not adjust far enough to accommodate my eyes. It seems that the neutral point is far off CW and the extra needed for my eyes puts it up against the stop.
Sending back to Zen-Ray is not really a consideration, perhaps this work could be undertaken by a repairer here. Can anyone recommend a repairer?

After feeling smug for so long about my cherry of a Zen-Ray ED2 7x36, I discovered that the dioptre setting will not adjust far enough to accommodate my eyes. It seems that the neutral point is far off CW and the extra needed for my eyes puts it up against the stop.
Sending back to Zen-Ray is not really a consideration, perhaps this work could be undertaken by a repairer here. Can anyone recommend a repairer?

Tony Kay, OptRep Optical Repairs

The objective needs to be recessed or the internal focus needs to be adjusted and tightened.

Bill

Last edited:
I,ve only dealt with one optical repairer for binoculars and that
Was the company who made the binoculars but if you want to add the name to
Your list its Charles Frank in Glasgow.

Cluster.
Tony Kay is perhaps elderly now.
The Charles Frank binocular repairer Dougie was wonderful, but unfortunately passed away about a year ago.

Try East Coast Binocular Repairs.
Probably the best choice now in the U.K.

P.S.
Charles Frank made telescopes not binoculars. I bought the first of the production 8.5 inch Newtonians in 1967.
Also an ex WD 10x70 Ross monocular.
They sold binoculars under their name Nipole, amongst others.
I used their miniature Nipole 7x23 for many years taking it all over the world with me.

Last edited:
I second East Coast Binocular Repair. Won't embarrass the engineer too much except to say he worked for two alpha binocular companies before "retiring" and I wouldn't hesitate to send any of my units for his expertise. Sorry to hear of Dougie passing.
Pat

Cluster.
The Charles Frank binocular repairer Dougie was wonderful, but unfortunately passed away about a year ago.

P.S.
Charles Frank made telescopes not binoculars. I bought the first of the production 8.5 inch Newtonians in 1967.
I used their miniature Nipole 7x23 for many years taking it all over the world with me.

Well, that’s just bloody great. I forgot Gary has his own business, now ... I’m a dead man!
And Tony is not “perhaps” anything; he’s elderly—as were are.

Losing all the great techs of the past is not really that bad, since most people refuse to pay a talented tech what he is worth in that it’s, as often as not, more expensive than cheap Asian binos, anyway.

“There are good optics, and there are cheap optics. But, there are no good/cheap optics.”—Leif Robinson, Sky & Telescope

Bill

Cluster.

P.S.
Hi there, yes thats true mine are from 1971 8x30,s
but I sent these bins to glasgow for a clean up and anything else wanted.

My bins have been returned from East Coast Binocular Repairs, having had the offset neutral point dioptre fixed.
Very pleased with the result and with the very reasonable repair cost...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back