• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid- to late June: where to go? (1 Viewer)

3Italianbirders

Supporter
Italy
There is a similar thread for late May early June, but I thought I’d add a new one as our dates and requirements are slightly different.

We wouldn’t be able to leave before June 12 (June 10 is the last day of school here) and will have up to a couple of weeks. Ideally we wouldn’t want to go to the other side of the world as we did that last year (BC), so somewhere closer would be nice. We don’t like the heat and although a beach every now and then would be appreciated by our daughter it is not a must.

Of course migration is over by then, so the first thing that comes to mind is somewhere north. We went to Sweden two years ago and are tempted by the duo Varanger-Finnish Owls, but it’s probably a bit late in the day to organise such a trip, also I think somewhere warmer would be nice for a change.

One idea was Scotland - we went a long time ago and have wanted to return ever since. This time we would focus on the West coast, Handa Island and probably Mull.

Another place on the list would be North-eastern Greece (Lake Kerkini, the Rhodope mountains, the Evros Delta and Dadia forest), but I wonder if it will already be very hot by then, making it impossible to bird except early in the morning and in the evenings.

Spain is also high on the list, but having been there previously we know for certain that the temperatures would already be in the baking range.

We would really appreciate any thoughts on the above and/or any other suggestions, with each passing year it becomes harder to find a viable birding destination for the school holidays!

Thanks!

Its an ideal time for the Spanish Pyrenees...spring is late there at altitude and its not so good to go before May, nice and warm too.

I burnt in May last year on Skye:-O

Yeah a bit hot in Oban/Mull too Rich. Lovely wasn't it!! The only time it was uncomfortable though, was sitting in the car on the car deck of the ferry, waiting for the doors to open... it was 30 something degrees down there!

Mull or Shetland would get my vote! Orkney might too, but I've not been there yet... must address that issue soon!!

June is still good for some eastern specialities in Estonia. Greenish Warbler, Citrine Wagtail, Booted Warbler, Blyth's Reed Warbler, Great Snipe etc. Corncrakes, Rosefinches and Thrush Nightingales singing everywhere. The weather is not too hot but warmer than in Northern Finland. Lots of coastline and not too many people so you can find a secluded beaches to take a break from birding.

Thanks for the tips. The Pyrenees sound good, especially with a trip in the nearby steppes, although it would certainly be hot there! I see that there are no comments on Greece, so I guess that the answer to my question is "yes. it will be too hot to bird" ;)

Yesterday I had a look at the offers of various tour operators, not because we want to join a guided tour, but to see if there were any places we hadn't thought of. One company was offering a trip to Austria, for alpine species, woodpeckers and Bustards, plus warblers and wetland species at Lake Neusiedl. Didn't sound bad, especially since we could drive there. Although I guess that finding alpine species without a guide wouldn't be easy.

Iceland is definitely on our list, but we may postpone it due to the cost - we are still recovering from last year's trip...

Estonia is another place we had thought about. Not sure about flights etc. but that's easy to check. Also we have friends who have been there so we could ask them.

The Pyrenees would get my vote. Two years ago we had a week on the Spanish side near Jaca before moving just over the border for another week. No beaches and we were a fair way from the steppes but the mountains are just wonderful and we had best views yet of Lammergeier (follow my link to France.)
This year we'll have the full fortnight on the French side, starting 22 May, and this area has become a firm favourite. Search for Rosbif's thread on the area.

Catalonia, NE Spain (Barcelona)

We wouldn’t be able to leave before June 12 ... We don’t like the heat and although a beach every now and then would be appreciated by our daughter it is not a must.

Of course migration is over by then...

Spain is also high on the list, but ... would already be in the baking range

Hi there

Catalonia, the region around Barcelona in NE Spain, does not get baking hot in June, especially as much of it is coastal.

Neither is migration over, not quite anyway. The Eleonora's Falcon begins to arrive at this time, for instance, peaking during the third week of June.

It's a really good time for birding actually and I often run tours for photographers at this time as the light is good but also many species have already settled on territory, meaning they're easy to find, and have had young, meaning they're active feeding young out in the open, etc.

You can google for things to do for the family in Barcelona, Catalonia, theme/water parks, great beaches (including secluded 'calas'), wine tours, boat tours, concerts, etc.

On the links below you can also take a look at the birds (lots, as Catalonia has the widest variety of habitats in Iberia and much of Europe) and sites available all within quite a small area...including the PYRENEES... and the transport network is great for getting between them.

BIRDS - http://www.catalanbirdtours.com/birds in catalonia.html

SUMMER ITINERARIES - http://www.catalanbirdtours.com/Spain birding/spain birding summer.html

You could even break up your holiday with a week in the Pyrenees and a week more coastal/Barcelona/Sitges.

Hope this is helpful.

All the best

Thank you. We are currently deciding between Scotland, Pyrenees and Iceland. I think we have given up on Greece and thought that two weeks would probably be wasted on Austria. The problem with Spain is that our targets would be mostly the steppe species rather than the mountain ones, so spring would be better for those.

Thank you. I think we are now set on Scotland, although the details are still a bit hazy ;), but we'll surely add your recommendation to our (long) list of places to go!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back