• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scimitar Babbler help please - red or coral (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I'm told the picture on the Coral-billed Scimitar Babbler page is actually a Red-billed S B.

I don't know which picture is referred to and I'd never dream of querying ID's by either photographer myself:eek!:

Help please! Neither picture seems to show "a longer thinner bill" unless that's the angle of the images, so I'm stuck.

I'm told the picture on the Coral-billed Scimitar Babbler page is actually a Red-billed S B.

I don't know which picture is referred to and I'd never dream of querying ID's by either photographer myself:eek!:

Help please! Neither picture seems to show "a longer thinner bill" unless that's the angle of the images, so I'm stuck.

Both look OK for Coral-billed IMO. The top bird is nominate ferruginosus while the lower bird should be orientalis on location. As you point out, the bills are too heavy for Red-billed.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=23318&Bird_ID=1500&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

However, the taxonomy is rather complex and note that HBW have split all but nominate ferruginosus to form Brown-crowned Scimitar-babbler P.phayeri which inc phayeri, stanfordi, formosus, albogularis, orientalis and dickinsoni. IOC currently lump them.

http://www.hbw.com/species/brown-crowned-scimitar-babbler-pomatorhinus-phayrei

Grahame

Many thanks Graham.

André is working his way through the latest Clements update, though he's presently in the US. I leave the taxonomy to him LOL

I'll caption those two images with the subspecies information.

Thanks again lad.

Delia/Robby,

Seems to be some confusion here as I only looked at the first two images and to which my earlier comments refer too. The third image from Phu Suan Sai NP is clearly a Red-billed.

Grahame

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back