• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Identification Contest (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I am offering just for fun, a binocular identification contest, of 8x30-32
binoculars. They are all of Japanese, Austrian or Chinese origin.

I recently lost a close loved one, my son, as a few on here know about.
Birdforum has always been a nice diversion for me. So, I have no agenda, just thought I would throw this out there.

The prize is yet to be determined. ;)

Lets all just have some fun, and let this thread run a few weeks.

Just name your picks from left to right.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1070.JPG
    DSCN1070.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 216
For starters, I spy possibly an older Swarovski Habicht 8 or 6x30 third from left..don't tell me it's a Jena...however it's objective housing looks very slightly too long for either. Also an SV 8x32 second from right. You've put some Swarovski eye cups and covers on them and on another pair of closed bridge swaros there. Imo those eye cups work exceptionally well.

Despite my abysmal performance I expect I'm the winner by default woohoo! What's the prize? :smoke:

Last edited:
I will give it a shot. Nothing ventured-nothing gained.

Far left is an 8x32 Nikon SE. 2nd from left looks like a Swarovski 8x30 SLC. I will go along with Rathaus on a 30mm Habicht on the 3rd from left. 4th from the left looks like it might be a Swaro 7x42 SLC B. 5th from left is a Nikon 8x30 EII with objective tube extenders. 6th from left looks like an older model 8.5x42 EL or 10x42 EL WB with that silver raptor logo on the left objective barrel. The last one looks familiar: Maybe a Nikon Pro-staff 7S 8x30?

Bob

Last edited:
You guys have done well, several correct picks so far. But they are all 8x30-32 sizes.

So that will give yourself another clue. The wild card is the one 3rd from the left.

I am still not sure of a prize. I'm busy farming today, planting soybeans tomorrow.

Jerry

Regarding the mysterious third from left....hmmmm.

After further scrutiny I'm changing my guess from the Habicht to the 8x30 Leitz/Leica Binuxit. If so...that's a serious Grail piece right there!

Starting from left.............

Nikon SE
Swaro CL
Chinese military 62 ?
Swaro Slc
Nikon EII
Swaro EL WB
Viking ?

. The strap of the third binocular from the left could be Russian. Not sure though whether the binocular is a Russian 8×30?

. Amendment.

Clearly I'm wrong, as the original post states that the binoculars are Japanese, Austrian or Chinese.

What about a Yashica 8×30 for the third binocular from the left.

Last edited:
L-R Nikon 8x32 SE, Swaro 8x30 CL Companion, vintage Swaro 8x30 Habicht, Swaro 8x30 SLC (older version, not "neu"), Nikon 8x30 EII, Swaro 8x32 EL WB, and Nikon 8x30 P7s.

The vintage Porro is hardest to ID since Nikon and Zeiss also made bins of that vintage that look almost identical. When I have time, I'll do more research on that one.

Brock

I will give it a shot. Nothing ventured-nothing gained.

Far left is an 8x32 Nikon SE. 2nd from left looks like a Swarovski 8x30 SLC. I will go along with Rathaus on a 30mm Habicht on the 3rd from left. 4th from the left looks like it might be a Swaro 7x42 SLC B. 5th from left is a Nikon 8x30 EII with objective tube extenders. 6th from left looks like an older model 8.5x42 EL or 10x42 EL WB with that silver raptor logo on the left objective barrel. The last one looks familiar: Maybe a Nikon Pro-staff 7S 8x30?

Bob

Is it too late for me to change the 6th from left? I am now pretty sure it is a newer model 8x30 SLC. I looked at mine. The bird is on the left objective tube on it. I guess that means I cheated!;) But only if I'm right. Right:h?:?

Bob

Last edited:
Is it too late for me to change the 6th from left? I am now pretty sure it is a newer model 8x30 SLC. I looked at mine. The bird is on the left objective tube on it. I guess that means I cheated!;) But only if I'm right. Right:h?:?

Bob

The pre-SV 8x32 EL WB also has the bird on the left objective tube (see photo linked below).

Also note the way the barrels taper in at top, that's the tip off that it's a baby EL. The barrels go straight up to the top with no beveling on the SLCneu. Check out the SLC photo linked below or your own sample.

8x32 EL WB

8x30 SLCneu

<B>

Closest to being a Winner.

L-R Nikon 8x32 SE, Swaro 8x30 CL Companion, vintage Swaro 8x30 Habicht, Swaro 8x30 SLC (older version, not "neu"), Nikon 8x30 EII, Swaro 8x32 EL WB, and Nikon 8x30 P7s.

The vintage Porro is hardest to ID since Nikon and Zeiss also made bins of that vintage that look almost identical. When I have time, I'll do more research on that one.

Brock

Brock you have correctly identified all except binocular #3.
This binocular is a Japanese made Silver 8x30. It is not coated
and is marked "World's Finest". A nice example of an early
porro, and is well collimated.

Thanks for the participation. Your prize will be coming by mail. ;)

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN1072.JPG
    DSCN1072.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 72
Congratulations Brock!

I should have picked up on #2. I only look through it almost every day as it has been my car binocular for a couple of months. But mine (the wife's) is traveller tan colored.

Bob

Well done!

So what exactly is the prize...out of interest?

My beloved grandmother used to play this type of fun game when I was young, and the prize (to my horror) was often a bag of lemons! :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back