• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to get a good view of the skulky Lanceolated Warbler (1 Viewer)

SeeToh

Opus Editor
Heard a couple of (I guessed is) Lanceolated Warblers calling among some dense thickets in a reclaimed land in Singapore (which is their wintering grounds).

Can hear them calling very near me among the thickets but could never see them. Guess they are hopping on the ground and not foraging on the branches of the thickets. Any advise how to get a view of them? What time is the best. Would after rain a better time to catch them out in the open?

In relation to my post above, I learn that the only way to see this bird is just persistency (keep visiting the palce where you hear them calling) and coupled with a lot of luck.

It is extremely difficult to see them unless they allow you to:king:

I only managed a good look of the Lanceolated's tail/rump (other parts blocked by vegettation) but a good friend of mine who tagged along with me got a pretty good record shot of this skulking bird.

He may the first person in Singapore to get an image of the Lanceolated Warbler in the wild;)

Attachments

• 1476183_10151890400054094_892096363_n.jpg
    1476183_10151890400054094_892096363_n.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 80
Gone back to the same locality this morning and was fortunate enough to encounter and digiscope a Lanceolated Warbler.

I heard its faint song and when I playback its call, it responded and I was able to see it through a small opening among a thick bush. Surprising, I was able to get the scope onto the small opening quickly but unfortunately it had moved into the thick bushes by then. I just manually focus the scope onto that opening hoping it will re-appear. It did and I managed 6 exposures and 3 of these are attached.

The bird I got appeared to be a first winter by being somewhat less heavily and boldly streaked than the presumably adult shot by my friend last week.

Attachments

• 11596159653_0111e74780_c.jpg
    11596159653_0111e74780_c.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 11596731746_8d3bcb3d7d_c.jpg
    11596731746_8d3bcb3d7d_c.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 11595920125_aac234e428_c.jpg
    11595920125_aac234e428_c.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 52
Nice shots SeeToh. I've (just about) seen them on their breeding grounds and, even when they are in full song, they can be almost impossible to see. There again, I've seen vagrants on Fair Isle in the Shetlands, in the far north of Britain, and they've almost climbed over my feet. It's just one of the joys / frustrations of birding.

Chris

Park in a small forest car park in Langkawi I, Malaysia. It is drizzling so your wife does not want to come on the walk you have proposed. Walk up the track, see nothing, walk back, get in the car. She says 'There's a small bird scuttling around the undergrowth there.' She points to a spot 6 feet in front of the car, at which point a Lanceolated Warbler wanders out into full view.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back