• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare bird alerts in social media? (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi,

I wonder if there are good social media resources for rare birds?

Specifically, I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S., it would be nice to have up-to-the-minute alerts when rare birds are discovered. I looked on Facebook and Twitter, there are some pages/tweets, but I am not sure if they are updated frequently enough or comprehensive enough.

I did sign up with eBird, but I find that it is not quite up-to-the-minute, which is easy to understand -- most birders usually report after they get home from their birding trips. But when in the field, it would be nice to be updated more often.

Thanks in advance,
Howard

facebook can be a good resource. The ABA rare bird page often beats Narba in reporting major rarities. There are a lot of more regional facebook pages for different states/counties which might also be good.

There are bird alerts collected here:
http://birding.aba.org/
Signing up for them will allow you to receive instant updates to email.

The Maryland and Virginia list serves listed at the link Reuven references are THE place in those states for posting sightings of rare birds and receiving alerts. They work via email, which can be sent to or from smartphones or any other computer device instantaneously. There's no need or benefit to resorting to a commercial social media service such as facebook or twitter, where subscriptions are required, advertising may be prevalent, and personal info must often be divulged.

Facebook and Twitter are far inferior for this sort of thing -it's harder to post, harder to get the posts and most importantly it is just about impossible to look at anything but the most recent reports.

Rare Bird Alert is at the forefront. Social media is fine as far as it goes but will eventually kill quality news provision. Then we will regret what we have lost.

Stick with quality checked news.

The OP was refering specifically to social media, so I didn't post the RBA/Birdnet/Birdguides as options. All these news providers have made a few howlers this year.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back