• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darren Woodhead @ the SOC (1 Viewer)

timwootton

Just back from collecting copious unsold work from my show in North Berwick. Taking home almost as many as went down is a sobering poke in the ribs but the trip had a most definite highlight.
I knew Darren Woodhead was showing at Waterston House and it just so happened his show opened on the Friday as I arrived on Saturday. Darren's work will no doubt be familiar to you all (http://www.darrenwoodheadartist.co.uk/), but I hadn't seen any of his work in the flesh since we bumped into each other on Ramsey Island sometime last century (about 20-odd years ago, actually) and to see 40 or so full scale paintings in situ is an absolute feast for the senses. Berries and winter birds proliferate; a quartet of snow-bound woodcock bristle and shuffle about across an expanse of Fabriano watercolour paper, yellow-browed warblers appear from behind foliage only to disappear again the moment you take your eyes off them, lapland buntings creep through mayweed and fieldfares and waxwings gorge themselves on berry-laden sea buckthorn.
Watercolour is a complex medium and true mastery of it, as with any process requiring great dexterity, imagination, flair and a squirt of good fortune, takes time to master, if ever one does. Woodhead has. His paintings are intricately beautiful to behold but all the more remarkable for the intuitive way he makes lightning fast decisions about colour placement whilst working on these massive sheets plein air. There’s an ethereal, almost zen-like connection made between the living creatures and the completed images. It’s incredibly instructive to see just how watercolour can be made to behave – more so how paper can be told to take on values unimagined.
As with all visual media, the only way to really appreciate it, is to view it. If anyone is in the vicinity (and even if you’re not) please do your soul the power of good and pop along to George Waterston House, Aberlady and gorge on the natural bounty which is currently flourishing there.
Show runs til Jan 2012.

Tim, I've only had a brief glimpse at this website, but I can see some similarities in your work to Darrens work, Althought his is 'fast and loose' and you can see all the drips etc etc, some of your field work s is also quite loose as well.
I especially like the notes written in the side of the piece, reminds me of a 'Victorian Notebook' style where the handwritten notes overlap the art work, describing the scene and the weather and any other observations that arnt recorded in the piece.....

If there was a big 'like' button to push, Id be beating the button with both hands...:t:

Just back from collecting copious unsold work from my show in North Berwick. Taking home almost as many as went down is a sobering poke in the ribs but the trip had a most definite highlight.

not too miss line 1 -hope you are not too dispirited following the long haul with the full boot

then getting to that generous paean of praise for the Woodhead

hard to know whether to laugh or cry at the thought of him doing such marvellous stuff outside in rain or shine

always surprised by how delicate much of it is (the Waxwings, Twite)- despite the spontaneous outdoors approach, not often he reaches for the big swooshy loaded brush

not too miss line 1 -hope you are not too dispirited following the long haul with the full boot

then getting to that generous paean of praise for the Woodhead

hard to know whether to laugh or cry at the thought of him doing such marvellous stuff outside in rain or shine

always surprised by how delicate much of it is (the Waxwings, Twite)- despite the spontaneous outdoors approach, not often he reaches for the big swooshy loaded brush

My sentiments exactly: I hope that the lack of sales is not too dispiriting, though it's easy to see how it might be. This doesn't change the high quality of the work at all. They're still the same high quality. But I'm sure it doesn't help in paying the bills either. I'd say that I think sales will improve when the economy does. But that may be more depressing than inspiring................ Still it has to improve one day, probably when no one expects it.

I envy you the chance to see all those Darren Woodheads. Never having seen one in person I can only guess how much more powerful they must be than the book reproductions. As you said at least there was that one highlight, and what a highlight it must have been.

All artist I know have had lower sales last 2 years. Even some true masterpieces have not sold.

everything that I put out this year in the UK has come back to me, both Norfolk and London exhibitions - but on a positive note, I've managed to get shot of an old pic of a marsh tit for 90€ in a small library in Frogland. Sales is never a measure of how much work is loved, appreciated and admired, luckily.

Darren's work is phenomenally good, a true master of watercolour.

I agree totally with the above comments. I have his first book, and I've seen extracts from his second, including those mentioned by TimW. The handling of the watercolour, and the guy's observational skills are nothing short of staggering. Yes, its very loose, but all the more effctive for that. It really does astound me how he can pack so much into one painting. Just to spend 10 minutes in such comapny in the field, I feel, would probably be worth 12 months of guesswork on the kitchen table. Uhh, now then what do I do with this brush.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back