• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor in Johannesburg Sout Africa (1 Viewer)

This photograph of a raptor was taken in the Randburg (Urban) area of Johannesburg. I have it as a Steppe Buzzard? but not 100% sure. Are there eagle guru's out there that can perhaps help?

Attachments

• EAGLE WILLOWVIEW DRIVE 27AUG 2013.jpg
    EAGLE WILLOWVIEW DRIVE 27AUG 2013.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 114
Actually this is a juvenile African harrier-hawk.

I was about to write that based on the thumbnail only, then opening the photo I've seen the very small bill, yellow eye and Honey Buzzard tail pattern so I changed my mind.

I think mainly the big yellow eye on the "blank" face excluded AHA, unless you have an explanation (as you use to have)... or all features I used are artefacts?

Fight-feathers are more indicating AHA indeed.

I think you have mistaken the eye socket (that happens to be pale yellow) with the eye itself Valéry.
The combination of 6 fingers, flight feathers pattern and long tarsi leave no doubt as to the bird ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back