• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Hawkers at Thursley Common (uk) (1 Viewer)

Heathy

I am thinking of a trip in the next week or so to Thursley Common with the Common Hawker being the real target dragonfly. I have heard the odd report, 2 I think so far this year but wondered if anyone else has seen them there and how many are in the area generally at the moment. Any best areas to view would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Marc Heath

www.marcheathwildlifephotography.zenfolio.com

Hi Marc,

During a brief visit on Aug 4th, in dull conditions, we had a male that looked settled into hawking over a pool close on the right hand side of the boardwalk that leads away from the moat pond. It wasn't that far along. Much nearer to the start of when pools start to appear, and way before the big pond on the left at the bend. We then met someone who said they'd seen two males, and it sounded like it was in the same area.

Good luck :t:

I made a visit to Thursley today and with a bit of luck managed to see 1 female Common Hawker ovipositing in the small ditch on the right of the boardwalk near the big pool/lake. It was only on view for a few seconds but I managed possibly the worst shot you will ever see of this species, but a first for me. Shots can be viewed on my website, click the blog link.

Marc

www.marcheathwildlifephotography.zenfolio.com

Indeed, fantastic images. Marc, I really enjoyed your description of the effort involved, and relief, in connecting with the target species. Reminds me I haven't got a photograph of this species - as you say 'next year'. Phil

I don't think I'd ever seen one sat still before my trip to Inverness this summer. Up there, they seem quite willing to pose. Doubtless they were aware that I was hoping for a photo of an azure and they decided to taunt me...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back